Steering wheel play (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
69 FJ40:
2 penny solution on linkage
Center arm rebuild kit
New steering stabilizer
Replaced rod ends
Alignment
Tightened steering box shim screw

I know a lot of this does not have direct involvement with steering wheel play, however, I still have 1 3/4” movement in steering wheel before pitman arm movement. I read on another thread about shim reversal. Is there another option before this?

Thanks

all the play is in the steering box?
1969? probably hasn't had much love since new
it may just need a rebuild, as it is over 50 years old

all the play is in the steering box?
1969? probably hasn't had much love since new
it may just need a rebuild, as it is over 50 years old
Probably correct. The frame number (70310) should be the third week in June of ‘69. Haven’t been able to find a kit for that build period. If anyone knows a source please let me know.

Thanks for the help!

Probably correct. The frame number (70310) should be the third week in June of ‘69. Haven’t been able to find a kit for that build period. If anyone knows a source please let me know.

Thanks for the help!
Mark A at Mark's Offroad has made comments on the forum that no rebuild parts are available for these single piece box/column assemblies (steering shaft is integrated into the steering box). I think me may have some NOS available on the shelf to perform one or two rebuilds, but only will sell as part of a paid rebuild service. Best to give him a call and chat with him about this.

Mark A at Mark's Offroad has made comments on the forum that no rebuild parts are available for these single piece box/column assemblies (steering shaft is integrated into the steering box). I think me may have some NOS available on the shelf to perform one or two rebuilds, but only will sell as part of a paid rebuild service. Best to give him a call and chat with him about this.
At the moment, I am only offering to sell my boxes. Until I am sure that I can cover rebuilding my own inventory, I cannot offer to service any other pre ‘72 boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom