steering wheel off? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, I'm trying to replace my turn signal but I need to get the steering wheel off first. Does anyone know how to get the darn thing off? The book says to use a "puller" is this really the only way? Thanks so much for helping out.

another way is to back the nut part way off, pull on the wheel and have another person tap on the nut with a hammer

What year truck do you have, as a Pre-73, this is not required to change out the 'switch', which is what I think you are trying to say you want to do.

If you have a post 9/72- you will need to remove the three screws that hold the pad on the center of the steering wheel(they come in from the back side of the wheel, really the front), then remove the nut on the steering shaft, and you may be able to pop the wheel off the shaft by striking the back side of the wheel with both hands, put the nut back on a little in case it pops off, so that it will not hit you.

I really do not think that you will be able get this apart without a puller, but you may. Otherwise, I would try renting a puller from an auto store, or just purchase one, and the two longer bolts that you will need to use. They are metric, 8mmx1.25 thread, 70mm long or so should be good.

Good luck!

-Steve

I have 75 cruiser so I suppose I'll have to get the puller. I've already taken the pad off and the nut but the wheel seems to be on there pretty tight. If I get a puller, are they all uniform or do I need a special Land Cruiser one? There are some other small screws the attach a kind of plate between the wheel and the turn signal. Maybe I should try taking these off but I'm a little nervous about putting it all back together right. The book makes it sound like everything needs to be alligned just right. Does the puller just pull or does it have some other special releasing function? Because if it just pulls, then I might as well knock the backside of the wheel ya know? Thanks again for your advice.

There is not a special Land Cruiser steering wheel puller for a 1975-40 series that I am aware of. It has a forcing screw that pushes against the steering shaft, and in conjunction with the bolts that hold the plate that the screw threads through to the center of the steering wheel, forces the steering wheel away from the shaft.

Klear as mudd? Hope so!

Good luck!

-Steve

I used a gear puller to get mine off. It came off pretty easy just be carefull. Just take the cover off by removing the small screws from the back. Take the nut off the center of the wheel and pull the wheel off. I also made sure my wheels where turned straight before I removed the steering wheel so I could put the steering wheel back on centered.

I have had no problem just removing the nut(19mm) and wiggling the wheel when pullin...........off it comes, at least this worked on the 82 40's and 88 fj62, and fj60. Maybe there is more involved in older cruisers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom