Steering Wheel Noise...?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting a noise right behind my steering wheel when I make right turns and the wheel comes back to center. So I guess the noise is when the steering wheel is turned left. I sounds like its rubbing metal on metal. Its loud and driving me crazy. I did a search and didn't find anything in the fj80 area.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Thanks

Clockspring!

X2. The horn contact on my 60 made a noise like that, IIRC.

My understanding is that it's the clock spring in the 80 that makes the noise. It's not cheap, either.

Not to panic, but it can come and go for a long time. Ours has been doing it off and on since we bought it almost 4 tears ago. It seems to be affected by temp and humidity, but not in a consistent way. Before going into steering column, give it a chance to disappear.

Oh, and about the airbag, treat it like a gun. Assume it is loaded until YOU confirm otherwise. No need to get anyone hurt.

My understanding is that it's the clock spring in the 80 that makes the noise. It's not cheap, either.

Not to panic, but it can come and go for a long time. Ours has been doing it off and on since we bought it almost 4 tears ago. It seems to be affected by temp and humidity, but not in a consistent way. Before going into steering column, give it a chance to disappear.

Oh, and about the airbag, treat it like a gun. Assume it is loaded until YOU confirm otherwise. No need to get anyone hurt.

Yep. Mine does this throughout the winter, especially on cold mornings. Summer I rarely hear it.

UPDATE:

I pulled the two plastic peaces off to see where the clockspring is making contact. Well I could not see the area. And you guys seem to be right. It is warmer today (high 50's) and the sound seems to be a lot less. I might let it go for a while and see what happens or try some PB spray.

My experience with the horn pin/clock spring is you need to remove the steering wheel to get to it. However I have been able to sometimes get some dielectric grease in the path of it on each side of the pin and then turned the wheel and queit it up with out removal.

Only use dielectric grease since this is an electrical connection. WD-40 works short term but is to thin to last long term.

On the Airbag disconnect the battery no matter what you do when messing with one of those. 200MPH + is not something to risk getting hit with.

Last edited:
Does the airbag dash light come on when you start the car? If it comes on then goes off after a few seconds, all your airbag parts are there and functional. The light comes on during the self test of the system. If the light stays on, then there is an issue with the system.

Does the airbag dash light come on when you start the car? If it comes on then goes off after a few seconds, all your airbag parts are there and functional. The light comes on during the self test of the system. If the light stays on, then there is an issue with the system.

I just went out and checked if the airbag light comes on when I start the car and it does not. I don't see a light at all. The guy I bought it from said that it has a rebuilt (salvage) title because someone hit the front end. When I took it to our local shop the owner asked me if I knew it did not have airbag mod? I had no idea. The mechanic said that they cost a lot of $$ and most people don't put them back.

He did not show where the Airbag Mod is. This is the only spot I could find under the hood that looks like something was removed from the fire wall.

Is this the spot where the Airbag Mod lives? Above the brake master cylinder.

photo18_zps042d6ff6.jpg

Thanks

I believe the module is behind the front bumper. It is essentially an accelerometer that tells the bag to go boom.

So what happened is someone defrauded you by disabling the system indicator so you wouldn't ask about the light on the dash.

When you turn the key on, does the ABS and check engine come on then go off?

I believe the module is behind the front bumper. It is essentially an accelerometer that tells the bag to go boom.

So what happened is someone defrauded you by disabling the system indicator so you wouldn't ask about the light on the dash.

When you turn the key on, does the ABS and check engine come on then go off?

Yea I do feel like the seller was not all that up front with the details. :mad: Things we learn in life.

Yea that makes more scene why they put on a ARB front bumper. Yes the check engine light and ABS light comes on then goes off when it is started. I also feel the ABS engage the last 5-10 coming to a stop but the light does not come on. I can feel it in the pedal. Not sure where to start looking?

Thanks again for all the help.

Yeah, there's no "airbag mod" just someone trying to conceal the lack of an airbag. The 80 is the first vehicle I ever have owned with an airbag. I wasn't a big fan of them, as a religious seat belt wearer. But if it came from the factory with an airbag, if should be there, as that's what the operator expects.

I hope the jerk that did this experiences what it is to live through a crash without the airbag he was expecting -- especially if he doesn't bother belting in. After all, it wouldn't be cool for him not to live through the crash...:mad:

Yeah, the ARB may have the label on it saying it's for a non-airbag vehicle. That's just some legalese ARB puts on so they aren't liable for your modification of your vehicle with their bumper. True, the sensor was set up with the factory bumper, but I think there's no issues with the ARB affecting that, they still go boom just fine. As far as I know, no user in the US has reported any issue with airbag deployment with an ARB installed.

Of course, there's no issue with the ARB affecting an airbag that's MIA...

Have you checked into whether the PS still has an airbag? It's likely gone, too, but takes precautions anyway until confirmed.

Last edited:
Yeah, there's no "airbag mod" just someone trying to conceal the lack of an airbag. The 80 is the first vehicle I ever have owned with an airbag. I wasn't a big fan of them, as a religious seat belt wearer. But if it came from the factory with an airbag, if should be there, as that's what the operator expects.

I hope the jerk that did this experiences what it is to live through a crash without the airbag he was expecting -- especially if he doesn't bother belting in. After all, it wouldn't be cool for him not to live through the crash...:mad:

Yeah, the ARB may have the label on it saying it's for a non-airbag vehicle. That's just some legalese ARB puts on so they aren't liable for your modification of your vehicle with their bumper. True, the sensor was set up with the factory bumper, but I think there's no issues with the ARB affecting that, they still go boom just fine. As far as I know, no user in the US has reported any issue with airbag deployment with an ARB installed.

Of course, there's no issue with the ARB affecting an airbag that's MIA...

Have you checked into whether the PS still has an airbag? It's likely gone, too, but takes precautions anyway until confirmed.

I am not sure if either side still has its airbags. Is there a way I can look or pull something off to look?

Could it be possible that the front bumper and fender was damaged but the air bags did not go off?

So I dug in to it tonight and found out a couple things. So it looks like I do have airbags however they seemed to be unplugged? Yellow wires not plugged in to the back of the bag. I am glad it is unplugged so I know they are not just going to go off. The more I dig in to my new rig the more things I find the previous owner did half a$$. :mad:

Airbag plug?

IMG_0108_zpsd8d6b310.jpg

Next I still cant find where I need to slide some grease in the clock spring? Sorry guys if this easy for some. I guess this is why I am in the medical field. :D

Grease here?

IMG_0103_zps2ec17cbc.jpg

Or here?

IMG_0105_zps74e5e5d0.jpg

Or somewhere in here?

IMG_0109_zpse0054ac5.jpg

Thanks for being patient with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom