Steering wheel noise- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

John Staton

SILVER Star
Threads
so installed new turn signal switch combo. After reinstalling my steering wheel I am hearing rubbing noise as I spin my steering wheel. Almost gritty and probably should of put some grease or lubricant on something before I put it back on. Thinking back on the wheel being off I am guessing the rub points would be around that brass ring maybe....Any idea if I can grease it up with out taking it back off and what I should use??

could be the horn brush that makes contact with the ring??

Reactions: OSS
It’s the horn contact pin rubbing against the contact ring in a slightly different way than it did before. A drop of oil will help hush it. Or a spray if you don’t want to take the wheel off again.
A buddy of mine used a dab dielectric grease on the ring and that quieted his and the horn still worked, but dielectric grease is an insulator so maybe it’s not the ideal choice

Might replace it anyway, here is new for comparison:

claxon horn parts:
PLATE 84312-20011 (cost 9 euro) =PIN with spring and c-clip
RING 45176-20030 (cost 16 euro)
2_9c6ef902a1df41d05432886a8bcf97ec.jpg

2_2bdb38f48e089bd26176f973aa02c99e.jpg

Might replace it anyway, here is new for comparison:

claxon horn parts:
PLATE 84312-20011 (cost 9 euro) =PIN with spring and c-clip
RING 45176-20030 (cost 16 euro)
2_9c6ef902a1df41d05432886a8bcf97ec.jpg

2_2bdb38f48e089bd26176f973aa02c99e.jpg
Thanks for posting that info. I had replaced my pin before and actually had noise before. Probably should of changed the ring at that time. The new unit has a new pin in it so that should be good. I sprayed some WD40 up there and I am all quiet now. I was thinking someone may tell me the FSM recommended adding some sort of grease, but given the response I shot some WD40 up there and its quiet. Love easy fixes. My clutch pedal was also squeaking and I shot some WD40 on that connection up the pedal and it is quiet now as well. 2 quick wins.

Oh, I am am pretty sure my two buttons that are not working are because I only have one screw behind the bottom button. my steering wheel cover holds the cover on and the other two screws must of vibrated out. Ordered a few screws from Toyota and that should fix it.

On a related note...if you change your PIN you better have someone with small hands and good eyes to help. I cannot see s*** without my reading glasses up close and had to almost do it blind with sweat dripping down my face late one night. I was so relieved when that sucker clipped in and I didn't drop it. I have a bunch of good parts need to sell and that one will be connected to one of two switch combos I need to get rid of.

On a related note...if you change your PIN you better have someone with small hands and good eyes to help. I cannot see s*** without my reading glasses up close and had to almost do it blind with sweat dripping down my face late one night. I was so relieved when that sucker clipped in and I didn't drop it. I have a bunch of good parts need to sell and that one will be connected to one of two switch combos I need to get rid of.
I got a good laugh out of this description. I did it in daylight, I can't imagine trying to hold a flashlight and work that pin on.

The guys above are right about the squeak. I had to do the same thing on mine. I used dielectric grease with good results. I should've replaced the ring, too. I may order one to have it for next time the wheel comes off.

Just make sure your wheels are nice and straight before you pop it off.

Its probably the brass ring and the horn thing, or Its your center section, the round plastic thing with the 3 prongs on it. What i would do when you take it apart next is spray the spring area underneath the round plastic thing (i forget the name) with silicone spray, push it in and out and spin it around to get it all worked in there and wipe the excess, you can also hit the pivots for the turn signal and wipes too while youre in there. Then rub a coating of dielectric grease around the brass ring and put a small dab on the brass rod with the spring and then reassemble. Mine made a creaking noise too and it turned out to be the spring under the round collar thing with 3 prongs. When i sprayed it with silicone spray and worked it in, a ton of old flakes of black gunk and dirt came out.

I got a good laugh out of this description. I did it in daylight, I can't imagine trying to hold a flashlight and work that pin on.

The guys above are right about the squeak. I had to do the same thing on mine. I used dielectric grease with good results. I should've replaced the ring, too. I may order one to have it for next time the wheel comes off.

Just make sure your wheels are nice and straight before you pop it off.
yeah, my wheel has been off center for about 2 years since I fixed the horn the first time. Was always a little left when you are driving straight. Bugs the heck out of 21 year old when I let him drive it (OCD). Didn't bug me too bad but I made a good effort to mount it straight and it does seem like I corrected it some but still may be a bit left.....hard to tell with these loose driving 60s. My steering is tighter than when I got it since I updated the suspension, but I have always said that steering it straight is like you are in a hall way running from side to side bumping the walls to keep it in line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom