Steering Wheel : New leather vendor or a GOOD Amazon kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

boydmick: you ship them your wheel (or a spare you picked up at a salvage yard) and they ship it back to you in about a week.

boydmick: you ship them your wheel (or a spare you picked up at a salvage yard) and they ship it back to you in about a week.

I'm planning on doing this but there isn't a week where I dont need/drive my truck. Need to do the wheel, shifter and e-brake.

Call to see if they have a core in stock. In my case they did.
I received the new one; swapped the old and put it in the same box as the new. Got the $100 +/- core charge back within a couple days. Really nice folks over there!

I had them do all three; steering wheel with padding to slightly increase the diameter of the wheel grip, auto-shifter knob (asked for padding but they couldn't fit it under the leather), and emergency brake boot, all in Oak. They had a bit of trouble cutting circular holes for the shifter knob screws (might have been their first time doing this on an 80 shifter), but with some prodding I got them to cut/punch the holes relatively cleanly, it looks good in the box. Haven't installed any of it yet so no pics.

@FloridaFJ80 has a promising looking product.
Land Cruiser Heaven

Though i dont get why i need to choose which emblem i want

You know, I saw that one in the 80 leather seats - if you go to the last pic in the 3rd row, the pic shows it from an angle & it just looks alot different. The pic is labeled as pic 13/16 on the page - so unless that's a wheelskin & not his own product, it looks like a real expensive way to disappoint myself because I'm not some pro installer with a steamer & all the right tools.

At least I think that's what I'm seeing on my ~10" ipad screen (one time I wish I still had a normal PC).

I went down this road not too long ago and decided against a "covering kit" even though that would have been less expensive by a loooong shot.
New steering wheel for the old LX
It is freaking awesome. I love it.

Deep down I'm hoping my black LS400 wheel has great / good leather -
-- and I'd be lying if I claimed not to have visited a certain cruiser vendor site who used to provide good leather then went to Hell, wishing he wasn't a scammer.

We'll see what my $69 bought me from fleabay (the LS price) -at the very least I'll have a core to pass around for others to get wheels done while not paying a core charge/refund hassle if they want.

I do want to add a little to the rim, it would discourage my bad habit of 'thumbs in' driving.

I already envy your wheel though - I remember what mine was like a lifetime ago.

Here is a better picture.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449719039.142704.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

frank, how DIY friendly is your kit? does it take more than a large sewing needle? why do i need to choose an emblem on your website? the pictures look amazing but can you give some more details? thanks!

frank, how DIY friendly is your kit? does it take more than a large sewing needle? why do i need to choose an emblem on your website? the pictures look amazing but can you give some more details? thanks!
I need to fix that particular item its an error on choosing the logo. The kits come with the thread but you would have to get the needle. I made the kits because I had customers asking for the leather for the steering wheel. I offered them the cut leather plus the thread and they accepted. I havent received any feedback from those that purchased. I assume two things they havent installed it or they paid someone to install it. There are many youtube videos on how to do this. So I would expect the dynamic to be the same.

Sent from my iPhone

I went down this road not too long ago and decided against a "covering kit" even though that would have been less expensive by a loooong shot.
New steering wheel for the old LX
It is freaking awesome. I love it.

What was the price with Shipping? Looked everywhere, did not see it.
Don't be embarrassed, we all have a Land Cruiser Fetish.

What was the price with Shipping? Looked everywhere, did not see it.
Don't be embarrassed, we all have a Land Cruiser Fetish.
Why don't you give them a call and discuss the options that you like. What I prefer and paid for may be different than what you want.

Why don't you give them a call and discuss the options that you like. What I prefer and paid for may be different than what you want.

So it's Variable....Fair Enough

When it comes to the steering wheel, what I would REALLY like is:
* complete leather rework
* heated (yeah I said it!)
* integrated Bluetooth stereo controls

The first is doable. The other two have proven fruitless.

Just had mine redone by Dallas Steering Wheel.
299 + 20 shipping.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1450451967.964354.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1450451992.580216.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1450452016.647973.jpg

Haven't seen it yet other than the pictures. I forgot to asked the to replicate the OEM stitch pattern. But I'll try to ignore my ODC tendencies.

That does it, mine's getting shipped to Dallas, I'll run my LS400 wheel in the meantime.

I remember mine that nice once & with all we save not doing the car payment racket, 3 bones is $$ well spent!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom