Steering Wheel need lube? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a plastic on plastic rub sound when turning the steering wheel does it need lube ;)

How do I do this :beer:

Search...C-dan has provided very specific instructions for this.

Post was 10-26-04 search "Steering Wheel"

Thanks I found it

I too would like to find this post, does anyone know where or how to locate? I tried the advanced search option to no avail.

Thank you....

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=25045&highlight=steering

And speaking of, the noise in mine has gotten to the point where it's kinda driving me nuts. How hard to replace the clock spring? One of the guys in my club with the same noise had his truck looked at at the dealership and they replaced a "spiral cable". Are the clock spring and spiral cable the same thing? If so, his cable was $250, I can learn to live with it for that much.

I read the "proposed" fix about removing the steering wheel and all that. I beg to differ. Just remove the plastic cover around the steering column. You should be able to see the ring in there with the little spring-loaded finger that rides against it. I put some silicon grease on the ring with a Q-tip in a few spots. Then just rotate the steering wheel around to spread the grease around.

I don't even know if you have to remove the column cover, but I did this while mine was off. No noise whatsoever. Had the same problem with my '85 FJ60.

YMMV

R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom