Steering wheel for fj40 1970 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, the previous owner changed the steering wheel in my 1970 fj40 and I will like to replace it for the original look but without paying $200/300...any idea? will a Jeep or Willys old style steering wheel works? or something similar to the old look. Thanks, Daniel

newer LandCruiser steering wheels will fit, but the horn button and blinker switch may not work

I was thinking $200/$300 was at the lower end for an original wheel that was only used 7/69-7/72. Earlier steering wheels match but have 36 spline verses the 33 spline you have. Believe the restored wheels are at least three times what you want to pay for a complete setup with a good horn button.

Last edited:
Where are you finding a good 1970 steering wheel for $300?!? I want a good one for that price!

I never said restored steering wheel

Steering Wheel Assembly Genuine OEM Used 45100-60051 FJ40 FJ45 FJ55 BJ40

Be the first to write a review.

Condition:
Used

“Good overall condition. Comes complete with the horn buttons.”

Compatibility:
See compatible vehicles

Quantity:
2 available

Price:
US $199.99

I was thinking $200/$300 was at the lower end for an original wheel that was only used 7/69-7/72. Earlier steering wheels match but have 36 spline verses the 33 spline you have. Believe the restored wheels are at least three times what you want to pay for a complete setup with a good horn button.

Ah, that explains the trouble I had fitting a horn button to my 66 steering wheel. Guess I got one from a 69-72. the center hole of the part that the button clips onto wouldnt fit over the end of the steering shaft. Needed to open the hole up a couple mm or so to fit.

I never said restored steering wheel

Steering Wheel Assembly Genuine OEM Used 45100-60051 FJ40 FJ45 FJ55 BJ40

Be the first to write a review.

Condition:
Used

“Good overall condition. Comes complete with the horn buttons.”

Compatibility:
See compatible vehicles

Quantity:
2 available

Price:
US $199.99

That is a 9/72-7/80 steering wheel. Pretty common.

Last edited:
TOYOTA FJ40 FJ45 BJ40 1960s STEERING WHEEL
4 watching
  • Picture 1 of 5
  • Picture 2 of 5
  • Picture 3 of 5
  • Picture 4 of 5
$55.00
+ $120.00 Shipping
"Living in the past", That's what my steering wheel has?? 33 spline? Do you know what ID has? Thanks for the information

Last edited:
TOYOTA FJ40 FJ45 BJ40 1960s STEERING WHEEL
4 watching
  • Picture 1 of 5
  • Picture 2 of 5
  • Picture 3 of 5
  • Picture 4 of 5
$55.00
+ $120.00 Shipping

"Living in the past", That's what my steering wheel has?? 33 spline? Do you know what ID has? Thanks for the information

The only way I know how to tell the difference on the FJ40 steering wheels up to 9/72 is to count the splines. Only a few months of the 1960s had the 33 splines. The rest were 36 splines. Fine it interesting is shows a BJ40. Those started 2/74 after the steering wheel change. Pictures of the wheel weren't clear enough to be sure what wheel it is. Only looking on my phone. Computer isn't here.

On horn buttons there was a change 9/67 68 model. Logo in the center is a little different. Older button has chrome around the outer rim. Later it painted black like the rest of the rim. Those will interchange with each other.

The 33 spline started in 7/69, the same time the center arm changed. :)

could somebody take a picture of the rear axel with the brake lines location from the flexible hose to the wheel cylinders and post it?? I'm rebuilding the drum brakes in my 1970 FJ40 and I'm having a hard time positioning the brake lines. Especially the t fitting. The manual diagram doesn't show much. Thanks in advance.

Why would you ask this question in a thread about steering wheels?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom