Steering Wheel Cover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It is freek'n cold, and my plastic skinny steering wheel sucks.

I am looking for a steering wheel cover that is cheep, and looks near-stock.

What about the cheap wrap around nylon ones?

Any other suggestions?

Pictures would be more than helpful.

i've got one of the sew on leather ones. those are about the only one's i'll use.

i have the way the foamy ones with the plastic strips look and the ones that just slip on come off to easily.

I second NuclearLemon's, the SKINZ leather stitch-on covers are the best. Easiest way to do put them on cleanly is to remove the steering wheel! :)

never done that before??? does it really make that much of a difference? i've always found, that even though it's a simple thing, take your time, and tighten every other stitch.

I've got grey leather wheel skins on both my grey interior FJ60s, and they almost are a perfect match for the stock interior. It's also easy and straightforward to install them on the wheel without removal. SOR sells them, but I'm sure most auto parts stores would carry them.

Here's mine...got it from PepBoys for about $5...its a synthetic material, feels great, good grip and lots of cushion.
fj60 053.jpg

I didnt like any wheel covers....Just buy Gloves!!!!!:bounce:

I second gloves. No offense, but I think that wheel covers too modern for our retro trucks.

Good gloves go a long way in the winter.

The lace-up style of covers must be in high demand around here. I went into a AutoZone, an ORiellys and a NAPA and no one had any. All the had were the kind that slip over the wheel, and slip just as easily back off. I guess Ill just stick with gloves.

Hodag

Check out what I got for the old girl, courtesy of my friend Eric! FJ80 steering wheel with factory leather:
FJ80 wheel.jpg

Flippin' sweet!

hodag said:
The lace-up style of covers must be in high demand around here. I went into a AutoZone, an ORiellys and a NAPA and no one had any. All the had were the kind that slip over the wheel, and slip just as easily back off. I guess Ill just stick with gloves.

Hodag
jc whitney's or sor

Exiled said:
Check out what I got for the old girl, courtesy of my friend Eric! FJ80 steering wheel with factory leather:

How'd it work with the horn setup for the 60 series?

Haven't tried it on yet, but a cursory inspection means it should work fine. Mine's an FJ62....

I like that idea.

///

Here's an option if you're putting on a leather cover. When installing mine, I noticed that the feel still wasn't as good it could be, so I wrapped some foam rubber around the wheel and stitched the leather cover over it.

Now, my only regret is that I didn't make the padding thicker.

Funny, I did something similar, I wrapped a roll of tourna-grip as used on tennis rackets. Not only did it function as padding, it also completely eliminated the slip of the leather cover on the wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom