Steering Wheel Change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The steering wheel foam on my 91 has come delaminated from the metal underneath on the top half of my steering wheel. It twists around in my hand every time I make a turn and I am waiting for a huge chunk to come off. I have been living it for about 9 months and it has gotten progressively worse. I have another complete steering column with wheel but the wheel on that one is chewed up as well. Will any non-airbag Toyota wheel fit? Has anyone swapped out their factory wheel for a Momo or something similar? Would love to see some pics if a swap has been done.

Thanks!!

Okay I searched some more and found some pics but not part numbers. Neither Grant nor Momo has a installation kit listed on thier sites for the Land Cruiser. Can anyone tell me for sure which install kit works on this truck? Camry?

Finally found a list for anyone interested. Looks like it is Momo hub kit # 7715 and it fits:

4 Runner - 90-96
Camry 87-90
Celica 86-93
Corolla 89>
Land Cruiser 91-96
MR2 90-91
Paseo 92-97
Pickup Trucks 87-96
Tercel 90-98

Based on this I would expect that the Grant kits for these years if offered should fit as well. If anyone has actually installed one please chime in.

Here's a picture of the my Momo in my mini truck. Damn i miss that steering wheel.
newera032.jpg

The hub just fit in it. I didn't want to sell it with the truck, but none of my friends had a extra steering wheel. An ARB Winch Bullbar went with the truck as well. Sucks

It is interesting that it lists LCs up to '96, given that both the '95s and the '96s have air bags. :hmm:

Don't forget the 97s as well

I agree that it is interesting that it goes up to 96 for the LC. Ironically I had called my local Toyota dealer at lunch to see if they had a cross reference and they said that the steering wheel and shaft was the same on the LC from 1990 - 1995. Weird!

Was the airbag an option instead of standard in 1995 and 96? That might explain it if it is the case.

I thought it was standard equipment, but it could have been an option???

Oh, and the reason I didn't mention the '97s was because it didn't list that year as compatible...

96 is the year air bags became mandatory on trucks and suvs so that might have somthing to do with it.:meh:

Interesting given that it is supposed to be compatible with '96s.

Try eBay for steering wheels as well. I just replaced a Momo wheel on mine that was coming apart. Most of the eBay ones come with a hub. Easy to install.

One problem with aftermarket though is wheel diameter. The stock steering wheel is 14.5" i believe, which is 368mm. The largest diameter wheel I could find was 350mm = 13.8". I find it to be a bit small. The gauges are slightly obscured, but I do have lots of knee room for shifting (5 speed :flipoff2:).

I am still shopping. I laced one of those leather wraps around it to see if it would help tighten it up and it did a little but still need ot replace it. Not sure I will do that again. Talk about a PITA!

This is the wheel that came with the :princess:'s rig. I think it's :grinpimp::grinpimp: but she disagrees. She wants me to put the factory one back on. :bang:

015.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom