Steering Wheel Angle for FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

knuckle47

I can’t get enough Land Cruiser
SILVER Star
Threads
Is there any pptential problems in adjusting the steering wheel angle lower by building up the clamp on the interior underside of the column? My Saginaw steering is under “re-construction’ so while I am setting the initial u-joint angles, it would be great if I can lower this steering wheel angle even just a little, kind of like a next click on a tilt wheel? even at 5’11” I feel like I am holding my arms up to steer.
don’t forget, I’m older and lazier 😉

Lower gets closer to your legs. I would recommend a smaller wheel like one out of an fj60 or early fj80. But yes, minor mod of the plate at the firewall and adjusting where the clamp on dash mounts. Going higher is harder than going lower.
With power steering you will prob find a slightly smaller wheel is more comfortable.

Thank you E…

‘’this cruiser actually came with a wooden looking glossy 15” Grant steering wheel . I am trying to get it back (besides the steering) to a stock look. I have the rear tire carrier, and a few ancillary parts including a $300 stock steering wheel, mirrors, rear view mirror . I have the same problem with a 1957 thunderbird. If you are 5’6’ it must be great but that 17” steering wheel is a thigh crusher. Especially that the 2 seater has such limited rearward movement. Fortunately they make a 98% good looking copy but in a 15” configuration and also shallower… it is a life saver for comfort.

I agree with the lower leg possibilities so, I will keep an eye open for a FJ60 or 80. Back ‘in the day…1975’ I never learned anything about other FJ’s probably because they were not around and came out later? By the way, are all FJ 60 steering wheels brown? Found a ton of them but prefer grey or black

this will also lighten up the angle of the u-joints and shafts in the engine bay.

Thank you for the input
C57A71EA-4675-4A1B-89DD-3664B4104103.jpeg

Last edited:
They come in grey

16539338100791548815466720975838.jpg

ha ! That is the exact same style I found and one of the few in grey that I saw that did not look really mangled up. So I just paid for it and expect it this coming weekend…again, thanks for the guidance…

When converting it will require a slight tweak of the horn contact and will need spring pins (dowels) installed in a slightly different location for the turn signal cancel

I guess I’ll need to see it in person to fully understand the problem…I can’t visualize it …maybe when the wheel gets here? I went out and sat in the seat to get an idea of the angle that would be good and realized, I could also raise the seat 1 1/4”….🙄

Fwiw: I noticed the steering column angle on the '65 45LV seems lower than on the '71 40. I haven't measured the angles but the steering shaft is about an inch lower from the guage cluster on the LV.
20220530_160857.jpg
20220530_160933.jpg

Mine is green. If youre asking me.

My sig line has the color code for my FJ45, T303 fashion green.

My sig line has the color code for my FJ45, T303 fashion green.
I have a 1969 FJ55 and I have not been able to find another land cruiser in Fashion Green.
Do you have any more pics of your rig posted on mud?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom