Steering - TOO much play! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello fellow mudders! I have a vexing steering problem on my 97 FJ80. My steering wheel has excessive play in it and the front end seems to "hunt" when hitting uneven spots in the road. Here's what I have done: New steering stabilizer, tie-rods okay (no play in them), trunion bearings okay, wheel bearings repacked.
The steering wheel gives 30-40 degrees of play either side, which can make for interesting driving when it is windy at high speeds. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time...

COCruiser

Caster maybe? Any lift?

Any suggestions?

Could be a bad steering box but you'd better hope not as they are quite spendy. I have read there is an adjustment though I have not done it or read up on it. As I recall, it will take out a tiny bit of steering slop but it is worth a try if your only other option is buying a new box. Try a SEARCH and see what you turn up with as I know this has been discussed in 1 or 2 other threads. Suggested keywords: steer*, box, sector, play, slop* (Some combination of those should get you something worthwhile to read.

-B-

Have you tried adjusting steering free play as per FSM? :popcorn:

FSM Instructions

Attachments

• onvehicl.pdf
    12.9 KB · Views: 572
How many miles do you have? Ive got 250000 and no play.I dont think your box is out. My 2 cents. Mike

You can get a good idea if the play is in your steering box with 2 people. One turns the steering wheel back & forth. Second person, (the more mechanically skilled) stands with open hood (or bonnet) and with right hand and arm grabs steering shaft between firewall and steering box and with left hand on front wheel below him. Have first guy turn steering wheel back and forth. The "hands" guy should be able to feel and possibly see if that's where the play exists.

Thanks for the replies. The Cruiser has 167k on it with no lift. I will try these techniques out and get back to you. I certainly hope it is NOT the steering box. Cheers.

Take it to a GOOD alignment shop thats been recommended to work on 4-4s. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom