1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

steering stablizer shock 86FJ60

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Elbert, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Elbert

Elbert SILVER Star

Do you generally have to resort to some type of puller to remove the OEM steering stablizer on a 1986 FJ60. Mine looks like OEM and apparently has never been removed. Don't know if I need to resort to a "bigger" hammer. I've been using a pickle-fork and a small ball-ben hammer which is all I had access to this evening.

Headed to the store tomorrow to see about getting a puller and or a larger hammer. I've got a nice Old Man Emu shock to install but getting the original one off is a pain in the @$$.

Its soaking in WD40...now.

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    You will need a large hammer....

I have a air hammer and it *works sometimes* to get these removed.....a larger hammer has proven to work best.

Saftey glasses are a must....gloves are suggested.

Good luck!

-Steve

3. Elbert

Elbert SILVER Star

OK,

I guess after 20 years the OEM stablizer did not want to come off. Messed around with it for a while, then got serious and used some PB-blaster and beat the crap out of the "pickle-fork"....finally got the original shock off and installed the new one.

Air tools would be best.... did not have access to them where I was working.

4. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

sometimes hitting the sides releases better. I was able to pull my oem Canadian rusted on one with just hitting the sides of the taper. not the bolt end but the hole.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">