Steering Stabilizer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have decided to change my steering dampener also since it is as stock as my shocks were. I phoned my toy parts pal and the best he could get me on oem was $275. Wow!!

What I want to do is keep this truck as stock as possible since it is in such good shape and all(except for a turbo of course). So my dillemma is which dampener to get. I've looked at alot of them and it seems like they don't bolt up on the oem hardware.

Is there one out there that bolts right on with out hinky clamps and what not?
In Canada would be nice and as close to home as possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Challis

I have seen the OME one it looks like it bolts right up. I have yet to see a belton do they also bolt right up?

My belton bolted right up no problems.

Thanks I think i'll go with the belton. anyone have a pic of one . Does it come with the hardware cause im sure those taper studs are going to be a cut off job

Yeah mine came with everything. I will take a photo later after the wifey get home. It is her dd.

yep comes with all the hard wear, not sur eif they have any instock though... i have also used terrain tammer and have been very happy...
stock, is how did the one guy i spoke with recently describe it as???
oh yah, some Toyota parts are made from UNOBTAINIUM...
that made me laugh...
so true...
he was looking for a 24V EDIC motor, i priced it out $1300+ at the dealer... i got 4 12V but no 24 V ,,, youch!!

Someone else wrote once that they'd never seen a steering dampener that actually needed replacing, and I think they might have been on to something. My BJ70's looked rusty and busted, so I picked up a NAPA replacement for $34. Got the old one off, only to discover it actually worked fine!

i have seen plenty that are no longer good, there are many signs of worn out but the one sign i look for is a dead spot in the cneter of travel...
death wobble...

This dead spot is what iam trying to eliminate. The shocks helped alot. At first i thought it was my PS Pp. But then got under her and decided the whole front end was worthy of an overhaul. It gets better with each new component.

Its been a good chase but i think its coming to an end.

they're a bitch to pull, the ends are tapered. so you have to pound on the side and use a little heat to yank it. if you pound on the threaded end you risk the chance of mushrooming the threads and starting a new problem.

hitting on the sides will release it.

ahh, I am the guy who when I pulled mine had no tools like a pickle fork availible.

but that would be the cats ass....hitting the sides is the donkeys ass

Crushers wrote
i have seen plenty that are no longer good, there are many signs of worn out but the one sign i look for is a dead spot in the cneter of travel...
death wobble...

Wayne, could you elaborate on the "death wobble" and its causes?

I was doing about 100 kh/h ('88 BJ74) on the highway recently when the whole front end started shuddering and bouncing like mad. I sh@ myself and pulled over but could not see anything wrong. Was this the death wobble?

What causes it and how do I fix it?
Its a bit disconcering driving along waiting for it to happen again

Thanks
Ben

there has been extensive chatting about the death wobble and it's causes and cures.
please do a search here and in the LCNL on birfield.com.
the death wobble can come from worn kin pin bearing, wheel bearing, steering stabilizer, alignment.
for me, the main cause i have found in the 24 years of monkying with crusiers has been worn steering stablizer.
once, on my own rig, the death wobble was from a belt that had let go in my swamper tires...
i had rebuilt the front end, duel atabilizers, checked the frame for cracks, checked the saginaw steering box for loosnes, tie rod ends... i had repaired many cruiser of their death wobble till this time and usually it was solved, this time it kept coming back... swapped out the swampers for adifferent set of tires and wahlah, problem solved...
on a solid axle front end the steering stabilizer makes all the difference in the world...
cheers

Yes, do a search here on Death Wobble for some interesting and good reading. Also check out this post by dd113 at Pirates for a good info...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229675

Sadly, Poo has/d the death wobble and everything had been checked, replaced, gone through. I must be missing something somewhere, however can not find it. Even a steering damper in the stock location (relay rod to frame) did not solve it, increasing knuckle pre-load did not solve it, new steering column u-joints, new TRE, custom OTT flatsteer, positive caster..yada yada yada.

Putting the damper on the axle, tied to the center of the tie-rod solved the issue, and it is very stable at speed, on bumps, and in the one situation that would set if off (deep abrupt bump on the left tire at 40mph).

Challis, I got your e-mail, however was working last night, and will not be home till late today for checking and getting back to you. Yes, we have in stock.

gb

Last edited:
crushers said:
have you tried a different set of tires?

Rotated, balanced, rims checked...moved front to back to eliminate a hidden belt issue...you name it...

It's great now...

gb

Totally...stable, any speed, potholes, and specifically the one situation that would set it off every time: Hit a sharp edged bump with the front left tire at 40mph.

Damper from axle to middle of the tie-rod...

gb

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom