Steering Stabilizer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I was curious what the signs are that the front stabilizer needs replacing, or that replacing it would improve performance. Mine looks 20 years old. My steering is a little sloppy and I want to improve it. I am soaking the appropriate bolts with PB Blaster to align it. Was just thinking about the steering stablizer.

Ken

OME makes one, most of the usual vendors carry factory type replacements. I installed an aftermarket one which seem to help a little with a shimmy I was getting with the bigger tires.

If it looks 20 years old Ken, it could probably use to be replaced....

Is this 'littel sloppy steering' something that you had before the lift?

I look at steering stabilizers as a band aid, for other things that may need attention...While they do help control some things, many times, they are installed to try and cover up or mask other issues...

Good luck!

-Steve

It was sloppy before the lift. Hasn't changed that I can tell with the lift. I know I need to do a realignment after the lift. I was going to lookat the OEM manuals this weekend on how to do that.

I've pulled the stabilizers off a couple of FJ60s. Both were in excellant condition. No leaks, nice smooth damped motion. I was surprised. I had bought a Rancho POS replacement. It had a clamp on mount and it was impossible to mount it so that the shaft wasn't binding. I returned it and put the old OE one back one. The other truck got an Ironman stabilizer that mounted on the OE holes. It fit and functions well. I was surprised at how little difference it made. If the old one feels ok, save yourself $50.

60wag...

Currious...

did the new stabilizer move as freely as the used one?

There should be a fair amount of resistance to movement with a new unit, otherwise something is not right...

Yes, the new one felt a bit more stiff than the old one when you pulled on it in your hands - not a big difference though. Once installed, I really couldn't tell a difference even with the front end up on jackstands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom