Steering stabilizer location - 60 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just noticed that my steering stabilizer is installed on a unusual location, based on pcis and videos I've seen of other 60 series LCs.

The most common placement I've seen is like this: One end attaches to the hole that is part of the tierod end that attaches to the pitman arm on the steering box. The other end of the steering stabilizer attaches to a bracket on the frame/chasis on the opposite end.

Here is a video I posted on my channel to show you how mine came.

Please share some info as to why you think my setup is different. Almost ALL of the other 60 series I've seen, the steering stabilizer is not attached like this.

I need to order a new one but I am afraid that I may not be able to attach it as it will probably require some extra hardware, as my setup is not the usual way the steering stabilizer is attached.

If anyone has info or part numbers on the hardware I need to attach the steering stabilizer would be great also.

Thank you.

Interesting... not sure about this one. Maybe the PO had an extra stabilizer laying around and made it work?

The OME stabilizer (OMESD24) comes with the bolts/nuts that’ll mount to your existing hole bracket on the passenger side frame and tie rod hole.

Is that actually a steering stabilizer, or is it an old shock someone put in place?

Going to guess your truck needed a new stabilizer and someone had that laying around.

As noted above, the OME comes with the hardware you need to install it.

That's how some aftermarket steering stabilizers mount. I used to have one that mounted like that.

Basically it's "how cheap can we sell a steering stabilizer kit that doesn't require manufacturing a custom shock?"

This solution just used a common hydraulic shock and two easy to fab and inexpensive brackets to dampen the relay rod.

Based on my experience with this type of steering stabilizer using too big of a shock, steering suffers because of it. The shock dampening is too strong so it hinders the return of the steering wheel after a turn. I found I had to purposely turn the steering wheel back straight after a tight turn instead of it normally returning straight on its own.

Although these junky things aren't harmful, in my experience they're not an upgrade but a downgrade. The best steering stabilizer I've used was the Toyota stabilizer that came with the truck.

Thank you all for sharing the info. I had the same initial reaction, that someone just put it together using a regular shock and went with it. I'll go ahead and order the OME stabilizer kit and post an update of the install.

Happy trails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom