Steering slop / loose? 99 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1999 Land Cruiser 100, 180k miles. I rebuilt the entire front end about 10,000 miles ago INCLUDING, Steering rack, upper and lower control arms, and ball joints.

Question: At highway speeds I have what seems to be a moderate about of play / delay in the input from my wheel before I get a reaction on the road. (Read, I can move the wheel an inch or so in each direction and the truck doesn't turn) I am certain this was NOT there after I rebuilt the front, it was tight as a rock and handled like a sports car. I am looking for opinions on what the most probably cause could be. Is it possible the steering rack has gone bad in 10k miles? Possibly something in the steering column itself?

Any advice will be appreciated before I start ripping things apart...

Was it a new rack or reman?

Regardless...jack and support one front wheel off the ground. That's right...one front wheel. And bribe two buddies. Then with one hand at 3 o'clock and one at 9 o'clock push/pull to detect play in the rack. Have a buddy keep an eye on the steering wheel while you do this to ensure you're not transferring motion to the steering column portion; have him/her hold the steering wheel tight.

Then have another buddy, again while you are doing your push/pull routine, watch for play/movement at the mount bushing locations, tie-rod ends and rack.

Report back.

Last edited:
Check your wheel bearings, I bet they need repacked and are out of spec. Repack and torque to 20/ft lbs.

OEM rear lower control arm bushings have an approximate lifespan of 150k miles. Upper rear control arms may last a little longer. When they're worn it will make the front end "wander" or if the rear control arm bushings are very worn it will induce something akin to rear wheel steering.

I had play in my upper steering column. I used @Ayune 's write-up for diagnosis and repair, and it eliminated that slop.
Can you link this thread that showed their repair?? I think I have this issue and have been looking for a write up. Thanks!

Can you link this thread that showed their repair?? I think I have this issue and have been looking for a write up. Thanks!

FINALLY!! This is what I’ve been looking for!! Thank you so much!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom