Steering shimmy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Suspension question: my 92 FJ80 has 176k miles and suspension bushings are original. Visual inspection (from what is visible) of bushings doesn’t show and cracking or deterioration- except the sway bar link bushings are cracked. Knuckles rebuilt approx 3k miles ago. Original stock coil springs. Bearings are not loose- I’ve adjusted them so there’s no slip. New Bilstein shocks when I did knuckles. New 33” BFG KO2s about 2k miles ago. I’ve had the new tires road-forced balanced twice. My issue is steering wheel shimmy once I get up to about 55mph. Slightly shimmy tracking straight. Shimmy is more pronounced when I bump the steering wheel off center at highway speed. It’s almost like a wobble or slight kick back. My steering hand shakes and I can see and hear the seats shaking. No shimmy or vibe noticeable under 55mph- or extremely faint if it is there. I’m wondering if either worn leading arm bushings or worn lateral control arm bushings would cause this. Also, my steering is very heavy and I can occasionally hear a clunk when I’m in rough rough roads or hit a pothole. Any advice experience with this is appreciated. I do plan to replace suspension bushings soon as I have access to a press and it doesn’t look too difficult to tackle. I’ve changed leading arms before so that doesn’t intimidate me.

I’d get those bushings replaced and go from there. When in your parts replacement process did this begin?

I’d get those bushings replaced and go from there. When in your parts replacement process did this begin?
I’ve had the rig for 3 years. I think it’s always had the shimmy, but when I went to 33”s from 31”s I think it became more evident.

speed related often is a balance issue. but wow your bushings need changed. What about tie rod ends? those originals also? Knuckle studs been checked?

speed related often is a balance issue. but wow your bushings need changed. What about tie rod ends? those originals also? Knuckle studs been checked?
TREs on relay and tie rod are brand new (OEM Mr T)- forgot to mention that. Knuckle stud nuts are tight. Maybe I should back the knuckle stud nuts off and double-nut each stud to make sure the studs are screwed all the way in? Shortly after I did the knuckle work, the passenger side had a couple nuts that had backed off a bit. I tightened down the nuts and they’ve stayed tight since.

hmm sounds. no play in the trunnion bearings? Have you had an alignment ? Is your steering damper still good and the bushings in it?

Wheel bearings at 30-35 LB-FT?

Check your track bar bushings.

You're in Indiana, has the track bar bracket broken or cracked from rust?

Check for frame cracking under the steering gear.

Check the stabilizer bar under the steering gear from one side of frame to other is not cracked or broken.

Wheel bearings at 30-35 LB-FT?

Check your track bar bushings.

You're in Indiana, has the track bar bracket broken or cracked from rust?

Check for frame cracking under the steering gear.

Check the stabilizer bar under the steering gear from one side of frame to other is not cracked or broken.
Set the inner bearings to 30-35ftlbs; bearings aren’t loose. Is track bar same as lateral control rod? I don’t see any cracks where suspension mounts are welded to frame. Truck lived most of its life in the western US desert, so rust is not an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom