Steering shake 97 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I’ve been stalking on here a while and this forum has helped tremendously, I have a small issue in trying to figure out, by no means is it a big deal but would rather address it sooner than later .
first off I have a 97 fzj80 40th anniversary, not locked , 180k miles , has had pretty much all PM done by me. After a trip through imogene pass I noticed the steering wheel is starting to get a small shake in it when driving on dirt roads, it’s not a vibration nor a bad clunk, but its as if when driving over bumps or dirt roads I feel the steering wheel receiving a bit of a clunky feel I guess , nothing major at all, it’s the same feeling I’ve felt driving multiple vehicles , I’m thinking worn steering box or tie rod ends ? But the tie rod ends feel fine after inspecting . I appreciate any help!

D2FD1689-F3E3-4123-9807-0761A9EAB3F3.jpeg

Check your knuckle studs
Wheel bearings
TRE
Lost weights on your wheels due to eavuerlaunding.

I would guess the steering stabilizer/dampener is shot and/or loose.

Also, did you ride your brakes a lot and overheat them?

You could try "bedding the brakes" and sometimes it will straighten out warped rotors.

Agree with Bilt4me...check your knuckle studs first. I got the death shake and retorqued them properly—no shakes over the past 1k miles on and off road.

I actually just replaced all the knuckle studs , and used the wits end nut huggers. While torquing to 71ft lb one of the new studs stripped , not sure why or how but the cruiser is down while waiting for more studs , I inspected all that was stated above and everything seems fine , the tie rod end bushings both have tears , so those will be next to be replaced , however I still don’t think that’s the cause of the feeling in the steering wheel , the only way I can explain it is as if the steering box has too much play making me receiving the feeling of the wheels movement while driving on a dirt road , again this only happens while driving on a fairly rugged dirt road or horrible stretch of highway .

Also, brand new OME suspension with stabilizer ,repacked wheel bearings about 10k ago, brand new brakes , and it’s not a balance issue on the wheels , I’m leaning towards a worn steering box causing the play to be transmitted into my steering wheel

Also, brand new OME suspension with stabilizer ,repacked wheel bearings about 10k ago, brand new brakes , and it’s not a balance issue on the wheels , I’m leaning towards a worn steering box causing the play to be transmitted into my steering wheel
What did you torque the wheel bearings to?

Wheel bearing play is a likely culprit and an easy check, lift a tire and push/pull on the top of the tire. If it moves it's either the wheel or trunion bearings.

Wheels/tires look larger than stock = extra leverage against the wheel bearing torque.

Recheck and retighten with a more aggressive thread-suggested torque setting.

As a rule: always good to revisit wheel torque a few months after resetting.

Wheel bearing play is a likely culprit and an easy check, lift a tire and push/pull on the top of the tire. If it moves it's either the wheel or trunion bearings.
This

Wheels/tires look larger than stock = extra leverage against the wheel bearing torque.

Recheck and retighten with a more aggressive thread-suggested torque setting.

As a rule: always good to revisit wheel torque a few months after resetting.
And This

I actually just replaced all the knuckle studs , and used the wits end nut huggers. While torquing to 71ft lb one of the new studs stripped , not sure why or how but the cruiser is down while waiting for more studs , I inspected all that was stated above and everything seems fine , the tie rod end bushings both have tears , so those will be next to be replaced , however I still don’t think that’s the cause of the feeling in the steering wheel , the only way I can explain it is as if the steering box has too much play making me receiving the feeling of the wheels movement while driving on a dirt road , again this only happens while driving on a fairly rugged dirt road or horrible stretch of highway .
The studs do not get torqued to 71ft lbs just your nuts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom