Steering Shaft/Yoke Protector? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm curious if anyone knows how this part is supposed to be secured. Mine isn't attached to anything and it seems dangerous to just have it bouncing around on the shaft. It appears to be in the correct place/position but I can't figure out how its supposed to be secured. It looks similar to this part called a "protector" but its doesnt appear to be identical and I can't seem to find a photo of this piece on anyone else's rigs when searching.

IMG_9080.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 7.09.59 AM.png

it bolts into the frame rail with the single bolt, part # 91651-40820 in the diagram you posted.

Thanks! Ill have to take a look from underneath

you would need to remove the top cover, 2 bolts on the side and it lifts up tabs on the opposite side
the bolt is on the inside,
you may need to remove the steering shaft

you would need to remove the top cover, 2 bolts on the side and it lifts up tabs on the opposite side
the bolt is on the inside,
you may need to remove the steering shaft
OH yeah that sounds like a little bit bigger of a job, that would explain why the previous owner just left it to bounce around for who knows how long haha

The steering shaft should be removed and its splines and slip joint greased every 10 years anyway. Slip joint every 5 years actually - or something like that

Last edited:
You can reach it with nimble hands and a box wrench if you remove the wheel.

You can reach it with nimble hands and a box wrench if you remove the wheel.
Agreed. I’ve taken that thing off and reinstalled it a few times on my 60s and you can do it without removing the steering shaft. As @cps432 said, it requires some dexterity - but it’s one bolt and won’t take too long.

Bottom half bolts to the frame and is the tricky one to get in. Top half attaches to the bottom half and is straightforward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom