steering shaft right above rack and pinion-collapsible? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2000 LX. I replaced my rack and pinion last weekend w/ OEM on an LC. About that intermediate steering shaft that connects to the rack and pinion (in the engine compartment): Part 45203-60090 on an Landcruiser. Is that part collapsible to accommodate the install of the steering gear or is it designed to collapse only in a front end collision?
Mine appears to be frozen solid under the plastic jacket. Is that normal?
230k but a garage queen.
thanks in advance.

I don't think it telescopes easily or anything--but there are long splines on one end of that shaft that allow you to remove/reinstall it.

I received the part in the mail yesterday. Good job USPS for somehow using enough force to turn the shaft into a :banana:. Impressive. That takes some doing.
Returned for refund.
For the record, it does not telescope. I think that ringed section is designed to collapse in case of collision so you don't eat the steering wheel.

IMG_1932 (2).JPG

I received the part in the mail yesterday. Good job USPS for somehow using enough force to turn the shaft into a :banana:. Impressive. That takes some doing.
Returned for refund.
For the record, it does not telescope. I think that ringed section is designed to collapse in case of collision so you don't eat the steering wheel.

View attachment 2283604
The collapsable section is in the cabin behind the wheel that connects to that shaft

Returned for refund.

View attachment 2283604
That’s unbelievable

Returned for refund.

View attachment 2283604
Terrible packing by shipper too- fire whoever shipped you that

Probably should have been packed in a larger box. Small, narrow diameter boxes probably don't work well in automated shipping systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom