steering shaft removal??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know how to remove the factory steering shaft? I want to slide it from the cab through the firewall into the engine compartment.

I have a 1973 FJ40 with saginaw power steering and need to relace the bushing at the firewall. Unfortunately, when the power steering was done the guy welded the u-joint to the shaft. The only way I can see to replace the bushing is to slide the shaft through the firewall, slide the new bushing on, and reinstall everything.

Last night I disconnected the steering shaft from the gear box, removed steering wheel, blinker assembly, and the clip holding the shaft on at the ignition module. I was able to hammer the shaft with a block of wood almost through the ignition module but it's stuck at about the last inch or so on the shaft. I could try to hammer harder but I don't want to damage anything.

Please let me know if anyone has done this before or if the shaft can be removed this way.

Thanks for the help

Eric

Maybe you already got it, but there's a mounting bracket to the bottom of the dash on my 66 that when undone gave more movement to get the shaft out. Maybe it's similar? Oh yeah, and I think I had to remove the rubber bushing at the top, or maybe I did so I wouldn't damage it. 73 might be real different but maybe it's some help. Good luck!

simple really, undo four bolts and two on the dash and should pull out. i didnt hammer anything and i didnt take off the steering wheel, maybe your doing something different than i did. pics of what your doing might help?

I don't have a camera right now (crap).

I think I understand what your saying. You removed the 4 bolts at the firewall and the 2 under the dash. DId this enable you to remove the entire steering assembly? and after that could you slide the steering shaft out of the column? Remember I need to replace the bushing at the firewall and slide the shaft from inside the cab through the firewall into the engine compartment.

I'll try that tonight.

Thanks for the help

yeah i undid those bolts and th whole thing came rightout, i did not remove the shaft i slid a bearing on then put it back together. dont get frusterated

Went out to the garage to double check and here's the problem.

I can't get the ignition module (?) off the steering shaft. There is a bearing in there so I know it comes off for replacement. I was able to pound the shaft almost all the way through but the last inch is very difficult (won't budge at all). Nothing is blocking the shaft from going through so I guess it needs a little more hammering!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom