Steering shaft knuckle protector? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I removed this part 3+ years ago when I started my desmog project, and am finally getting around to finishing this thing up. Of course being a dumb ass and taking so long to work on it, I can't remember how this thing is installed. Seems that it bolts to the frame, then wraps around the knuckle joint on the shaft from the steering wheel to the steering box, but the only hole it seems to align with doesn't appear to be threaded.

What am I missing?

IMG_0993.jpg

Do you have the other half? It is held to the frame with one small bolt
just aft of the steering box on the top of the frame. Its easiest to install
the bottom piece if the 4 bolts that hold the box on are loose, but not impossible.
Then the top half tabs together on the inside and the two bolts that hold the halves
together bolt from the top on the outboard side. The little rubber plugs should line up
with the grease nipple on the steering column shaft.

Thanks Cruiserpilot. Yes, I have the entire assembly, just can't see it in the pic. I thought it had to be that hole on top of the frame, just couldn't get a bolt to thread. Guess I need to clean it out with a tap. I appreciate the tip.

It shares the forward most bolt of the 3 bolts that holds the shield onto that DS frame rail.

With the shield off, install that steering guard, then the shield slides on top, aligning up the bolt holes and holds the guard in place when you thread in the bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom