1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering shaft firewall seal question

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by LandCruiserPhil, Mar 10, 2004.

1. LandCruiserPhil

LandCruiserPhil Peter Pan Syndrome Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi all, New to the forum due to a recently purchased a sweet 96 FZJ80 with lots of goodies. One of the few things that need attention is where the steering shaft passes threw the firewall. Visually all there is about a 1 ½ hole with the shaft floating around in it. I can only assume this is not right. Any insight would be appreciated.

Phil

2. Darwood

Darwood

I noticed this as well and have been meaning to ask about it. I doesn't seem right, but then again if we both have it...

3. ppc

ppc M Go Blue

Make that a third.

4. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    There is a seal in the toe panel for the shaft. It happens to be the same part number as the early 90's trucks use. The number escapes me at the moment but I recall it to be less than 10 bucks. The fun part is pulling the colunm to replace it.

Oh, mine could use one too. :doh:

5. LandCruiserPhil

LandCruiserPhil Peter Pan Syndrome Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Is the seal of a heavy enough designed to stabilize the shaft.

If its just a "rubber thing" seems like modification is in order when you look at the fun in changing it.

Phil

6. Darwood

Darwood

So do these seals just wear out overtime? Will replacing it fix the gap?

7. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

[glow=black,2,2]Spray on expanding foam looks pretty good right now eh ? ;)[/glow]
    [color=555555]T[/color][color=2E3136]T[/color][color=555555]Y[/color][color=2E3136]Y[/color][color=555555]L[/color][color=2E3136]L[/color][color=555555]E[/color][color=2E3136]E[/color][color=555555]R[/color][color=2E3136]R[/color]

8. the shed guy

the shed guy

Cut the new seal with a really sharp blade for a nice clean cut, and then superglue the seal cut edges back once around the shaft, save pulling the steering shaft out.

I have done this with swivel hub seals as well, when I havent needed to pull the whole swivel hub down.

9. robbie

robbie Guest

did one of these for a customer the other day and it was real easy. only took me about 40 mins with doing it twice(funny). Just remove the shield above the steering coloum down by the steering box and then go under the steering and remove the two bolts at the end of the steering wheel. remove the two bolts holding the gasket in place on the fire wall and it will slide out. Remove the coupler from the steering wheel end of the shaft and slide off old gasket, slide on new one (right way, this was what lead to the second time). next is reversal of removal. all is good should only take 30 minutes tops. later robbie