Steering ratio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What do you guys do, to increase your steering ratio. I'm getting tired of turning this wheel that much. Do you replace the steering box? install a inline quick ratio on the column?

BTW, i'd like to have something 1.5 time faster. I drive my truck on road and off.

I see alot of Sag conversion, but has anyone ever installed one on the steering column.

EL

Last edited:
you could get a 3 turn box or just get a shorter pitman arm.

goodluck

great idea with shorter pitman arm

Thanks

Keep in mind that you may (will) lose some of your turning radius with a shorter pitman, since tie rod travel will be reduced.

Your best bet would be to move to a 3.25 turn box instead of the 4.25 turn box. That keeps everything else the same, just reduces the ratio.

Longer pitman arm will speed the turning ratio, not shorter.

Mark...

woops i remembered it was one or the other:cheers:

What is the number of turns lock to lock one my stock PS box?

im not sure but i think it might be close to 5.0?

im not sure but i think it might be close to 5.0?

My current bumper setup would not allow me to get a SAG installed. Isn't there gear kit or something for stock PS? I'll never go bigger then what i have 255/85 about 33.5"x10.5

Last edited:
You can try the saginaw from a Chevy Astro. It mounts inside the frame between the motor mount and radiator, with a forward-facing pitman, rather than the standard rear-facing Sag most people use right behind the bumper. It's also a 3.25 turn box.

Just something to think about.

If it is stock on the truck in your sig line I'd leave the box the way it is .Put a smaller steering wheel on it if you want to go racing...

Dang... tiny steering wheel there. Is that so you can drive while wearing handcuffs? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom