Steering Rack Yoke and Brake Lines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

awesomeissquid

SILVER Star
Threads
Two questions for those more in the know.

I recently fixed up my power steering system that was leaking from the hoses at the reservoir. Cleaned everything up, flushed with new fluid and added some AT-205 to help restore some gaskets. During the cleaning I found the PS brake line was soaked in fluid. I have wiped off what I could, but did not want to use any cleaning products since I don't want to affect the rubber. What's the general consensus for something like this? I have no idea on the age of the lines (no cracks visible) and I was not able to find if brake lines are resistant to transmission fluid. Should I just go ahead and replace them? I was thinking of going with the Slee SS brake lines for everything.

Second question deals with the rack itself. The inner TRE seem fine and the boots are not wet which is why I decided to hold on replacing the rack for now. It does seem to be leaking a bit from what I believe is the yoke? Is this something that I can just tighten or will the AT-205 potentially help seal it up? Really appreciate the help.

IMG_3390.jpg

AT205 will have you covered on the rack most likely. The leaks on your low pressure PS lines are probably from the clamps at the reservoir so you can throw some hose clamps on those or just replace them. Yolk shouldn't be leaking, that's likely fluid from something else collecting there, doesn't look like a big deal.

To keep it simple, power steering should be ATF which is for all accounts far less caustic than brake fluid is, and not going to cause damage in contact with brake lines etc.

Good to know ATF is less caustic thank brake fluid. I guess I will run the lines until I see some evidence of pending failure (distortion, cracking, leaking).

I had originally tried new clamps on the low pressure lines but the fluid was still weeping past the layers of the hose so I went ahead and replaced both the suction and return side to be safe. The new hoses are working great with no leakage.

I will check again on the yoke/yolk. I cleaned it before taking a drive and that fluid on it was the result after. I did not see anything above dripping or wet looking but I‘ll check again. Does the yoke/yolk never need to be adjusted? I don’t remember seeing anything in the FSM.

Good to know ATF is less caustic thank brake fluid. I guess I will run the lines until I see some evidence of pending failure (distortion, cracking, leaking).
Remember, brake hoses deteriorate from the inside as well as the outside. IF yours are the original lines....then assuredly you will benefit from replacing them. The outer appearance alone should not be the deciding factor. Hoses weaken over time from steering/suspension movement and just the constant expansion they are subjected to.

I had originally tried new clamps on the low pressure lines but the fluid was still weeping past the layers of the hose so I went ahead and replaced both the suction and return side to be safe. The new hoses are working great with no leakage.
New clamps on old 'hardened' hoses will usually be a waste of time. You did the right thing (replace them).
I will check again on the yoke/yolk. I cleaned it before taking a drive and that fluid on it was the result after. I did not see anything above dripping or wet looking but I‘ll check again. Does the yoke/yolk never need to be adjusted? I don’t remember seeing anything in the FSM.
Yes, keep an eye on it. AT205 is a stop-gap measure to replacement of seals (or component). It buys you time....by swelling and 'conditioning' some seals....but is NOT the proper fix in most cases.

The picture you posted looks like the lash adjustment on the rack. There shouldn't be a need to adjust the rack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom