STEERING RACK - remen vs new ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello yo'all,

1999 LC

I have tried searching on here but couldn't find any info or experiences.

so I wanted to ask if anyone got this remen steering rack(rack n pinion) from > steeringpros.com

per the full inspection I've done when I got my 1999 LC, it's leaking and the inner tie rods are bad.

so I have ordered today this kit from the fitters :

Tie Rod End Kit - Fits 1/98-7/2002 IFS 100 Series Land Cruiser & Lexus LX47- to replace inner & outer tie rods.

if anyone has experience with steeringpros. COM or can recommend other options it would be much appreciated.

i would love to hear more opinions maybe people that in the same case and can share their experience and if they choose to go for a brand new one? OEM? aftermarket? remen and why I should NOT go for remen service? or I should?

any opinion/input/criticism is welcomed!

I think you mean "ramen".

Don't see why a rebuilt OEM would be trouble

A new one is $150 more from many online dealer website. One option, see if SteeringPros would buy your core w/o you purchasing from them.

By all accounts, these aren't fun to install, I'd rather install a new one once vs a reman'ed potentially twice.

Last edited:
I went with the Detroit Axle rack mentioned on a few other threads due to the lifetime replacement warranty and cost.

Amazon product ASIN B019VFHW8W

A new one is $150 more from many online dealer website. One option, see if SteeringPros would buy your core w/o you purchasing from them.

By all accounts, these aren't fun to install, I'd rather install a new one once vs a reman'ed potentially twice.
ill be very honest when im googling let's say the "Toyota + part#" a lot of Toyota dealership websites are coming up bt it feels almost like a scam. because it's mainly out of my state. and it shows just a bunch of diagrams and really friendly and I find it hard to navigate and trust those "dealership websites" .

have you purchased anything from a dealership? if so kindly share your experience

ill be very honest when im googling let's say the "Toyota + part#" a lot of Toyota dealership websites are coming up bt it feels almost like a scam. because it's mainly out of my state. and it shows just a bunch of diagrams and really friendly and I find it hard to navigate and trust those "dealership websites" .

have you purchased anything from a dealership? if so kindly share your experience
OEM NEW is the way to go, Install a power Steering cooler in front of the trans cooler.

Try McGeorge Toyota in VA.

How many miles you have already put on it ? daily driver? off-road? how would you compare it as far as the feeling on or off-road?
Probably about 10,000 miles so far. I drive it daily, tow with it, and off-road up to moderate trails. I’m running 285/65-17 BFG AT tires. Feels the same as OEM as best as I can tell, but previous rack was in pretty bad shape when I replaced it so it’s tough to compare.

Reman'd are known for having issues, this is coming from one of the guys in my club that is a Toyota tech and has been for 20yrs. One of those things where you really don't know what you get with the rebuild as it is NOT rebuilt by Toyota. Thus you can go through multiple until you find a "good" one. And the job is a bitch enough of a job that you want to only have to ever do once.

I have had no issues at all after a bunch of miles with steering rack from Oreillys. And more than one axle from Oreillys with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom