Steering pump/rack and large tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm probably breaking some etiquette with this being my first post, but I'm in a jam and I'm hoping the community can give me some feedback.

I have 99 LX 470 that I've owned for the past 3 years. When I bought the truck, the steering rack had a slight leak on the passenger side. After buying it, I flushed the fluid / added AT-205, and I've done yearly fluid changes since then. Other than a slightly annoying (slow) weep from the boot, the rack held up fine while running ~34.5 inch 295/70r18 Toyo M/Ts for the past 3 years.

With the leak, and the pump starting to groan more noticeably, about a month ago I finally pulled the trigger and had it all replaced. I had a local dealership do the rack, lines, and PS pump.

Flash forward to today - when I turned on the truck this morning, I was greeted with a grinding/mechanical sound. I did a quick inspection and found lots of PS fluid underneath, and an empty PS fluid reservoir - hence the unpleasant sound.

It's dry where the hoses meet the reservoir, but I see PS fluid on top of the steering pump banjo bolt, and the rest of the pump is wet underneath. It looks like fluid was dripping down from the pump onto the rack. I haven't taken the airbox out to inspect any further yet. The driver's side boot of the steering rack is completely dry, while the passenger's side boot is covered in fluid. I can't tell if the rack is leaking from the seal on the passenger side, but my guess is the wetness is from the pump dripping onto it. I'm hoping the rack is ok.

Has anyone seen a brand new OEM pump (and potentially a rack) fail like this? Any ideas where the failure might be exactly, and what could cause this? The Toyo's I'm running are close to 70 lbs, but I know other people on here run 34inch+ tires and the only steering rack & pump issues I've read about were age/maintenance related.

The dealership is closed today and I'm calling them in the morning, but they don't warranty anything, and I'm potentially up a very expensive creek right now.

they don't warranty anything
They are required to warranty all parts and labor for 12 months.

87E8CD62-AB3A-4412-BA52-478CD254D4BD.jpeg

With the leak, and the pump starting to groan more noticeably, about a month ago I finally pulled the trigger and had it all replaced. I had a local dealership do the rack, lines, and PS pump.
When you say you had the dealership replace the lines, did they replace the high pressure "feed" line? You'll know it because OE retails for over $600.

When you say you had the dealership replace the lines, did they replace the high pressure "feed" line? You'll know it because OE retails for over $600.

That's the one. My service advisor relayed that both the high and low pressure lines were looking iffy. That's about what I would expect a dealership to say, but as far as I know all of the components were original and 23 years old, so I opted to replace them due to age. I wanted to get everything sorted before some big trips we have planned this summer, and to not have to touch it again for some time.

Make sure you use quality ATF oil like Valvoline, Toyota or Mobil1. our hilux has a leak at the pump and the steering box. Glad I did a flush with mobil1 and all the leaks disappeared!

I replaced my pump a couple years back and shortly after dumped fluid everywhere. Didn’t tighten banjo bolt enough. Also be sure to use a new crush washer (should be those two-in-ones).
Have you checked either of those?

Just to put some closure on this - @Beto Cruiser you were spot. The official reason given was an issue with a failed crush washer on the banjo fitting. Being a dealership l I have to think they used a brand new crush washer, so it was probably torqued down incorrectly.

And thank you @JunkCrzr89 for putting me at ease with the parts warranty reminder. It was all covered.

Make sure you use quality ATF oil like Valvoline, Toyota or Mobil1. our hilux has a leak at the pump and the steering box. Glad I did a flush with mobil1 and all the leaks disappeared!

Definitely - they re-filled it with some generic PS fluid, so I'm replacing that with Mobil1 this weekend.

This is all a good reminder to do your own work. I didn't feel confident taking on the steering rack job by myself at the time, and now I wish I had. The pump I could have done, but I decided to pay the lazy tax to save some time... and that ended up backfiring. No one will care about your rig as much as you do.

Speculating they re-used the crush washer- because they don’t stock them and didn’t want to wait a day or two with your truck in the rack for a 95cent washer to finish your job.

good that you got it sorted-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom