Steering probs... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
sf4wheel.alloffroad.com
Just finishing up my mini truck disk conversion. I took all the components and put them on my 73 FJ40 axle. I am having some problems with the steering I think. I can turn the steering wheel 1 full rotation counter-clockwise, but clockwise I can turn it 1 and 1/2 times. This isn't normal right? Is this something in the steering adjustments? I kinda figured that when I went for an alignment that they would adjust the steering so that it was centered and it turned correctly. Is this true? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

are you running power steering or just the disc conversion? What tie rods and ends did you use?

Right now I'm running the factory armstrong set up. I used the tie rod and end from the mini. One thing that I just thought of was the steering stops. I haven't checked them. If that doesn't do it then I'll try and center the wheels and then center the steering arm and adjust the drag link to fit. Think that would work?

Check your tie rod length too....IIRC, the mini rod is longer than a FJ40 rod....and checking the drag is a good idea, might be offset wrong.

Did you disconnect the column from the steering box? Sounds like it might have been reconnected slightly off by a quarter turn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom