steering problem...won't turn as far to right as to left... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I just purchased a 97 Land Cruiser. I had driven in for a couple of weeks with no steering problems. I had my mechanic replace 2 belts, as there is a bit of a whining noise that I hoped it would fix, but did not. When I got it back from the belt replacement, I parked at home as normal. The next time I drove, I went to pull in a space at walmart and almost clipped a car, as it did not turn very deep. I thought it was in my mind and that I was just not used to the vehicle as I had not driven it in a few days. I next noticed it when I was turning around in my driveway and I backed around and when I went forward i ran off the side of the driveway. I still thought it was just me. The next day I was taking a different way out and it would not take a right turn I had made several times before easily. I stopped and turned the steering wheel all the way to the left, which was two full turns. I then went back to the right and it would only go 1.5 turns. My mechanic had no good explanation and what he wanted to do made no sense. I went a friends who has a same year Lexus and it will make 2 full turns either way. Has anyone experienced this or do you have any ideas.

Thanks!!!

Don't know about the steering...but as far as the belt whine noise goes, it's a well known issue on this board that anything but toyota OEM belts tend to squeal. Do a search and you'll find more info.

He only replaced the belts? Nothing else?

What color is your power steering fluid? Is the reservoir full? Any signs of fluid leaking at the pump, gear box, or high pressure hose?

Is there anything obviously obstructing motion in the linkages?

It sounds like your steering gear box is not centered. This can be fixed by having it aligned. Tell them when you drop it off about the problem. Most any good alignment shop should be able to correct the gear box with the alignment.
JM2C

Changing belts shouldn't affect that though. Is it possible you just didn't notice it before or that the mechanic did something more than replace belts?

disconnect the relay rod from the box at the pitman arm. Now the box can be fully cycled right to left. Take the steering wheel and rotate right until you hit the internal stop in the box. Rotate left and count each full turn until it hits the left stop. If , for example you get 4 full turns , run it back two full turns right. That will be you box's center. Go out and inspect where the relay rod lines up with the pitman arm hole. If it's very far off someone's been messing with the relay rod adjustment. If the steering wheel is very far off. someone has had the box out and reconnected the steering column to the box out of position

First off, welcome to 'MUD! :flipoff2:
You're going to love your truck. This is one of the best vehicles Toyota ever produced.

It sounds like your steering gear box is not centered.
JM2C

disconnect the relay rod from the box at the pitman arm. Now the box can be fully cycled right to left. Take the steering wheel and rotate right until you hit the internal stop in the box. Rotate left and count each full turn until it hits the left stop. If , for example you get 4 full turns , run it back two full turns right. That will be you box's center. Go out and inspect where the relay rod lines up with the pitman arm hole. If it's very far off someone's been messing with the relay rod adjustment. If the steering wheel is very far off. someone has had the box out and reconnected the steering column to the box out of position

Since this vehicle has a recirculating-ball steering box, this really seems like the only possible issue. However, since you only had the belts replaced, it would be really strange if it wasn't a problem before. I'm not 100% sure, but typically the pitman arm and the shaft from the steering box should have alignment marks to make sure the arm is in the correct position on the shaft.
You should get the front axle off the ground with the wheels centered and check lock-to-lock travel of the system. If it is not equal left and right, something is definitely wrong. Check your knuckle stops and see that they are adjusted correctly and are nice and tight. While you have it up, check the connection of the pitman arm and the steering box output shaft.

Hope this helps! Let us know what you find!
If you can, take some pictures for our reference and post them up.

I know wrong section.....but I searched and this was the only post I could find with a similar issue...........I'm having a similar problem with my '78....when front end is lifted off the ground, running or not, i get 2 full turns to the bump stops in each direction...on the ground with engine and pump cool, i still get the same result....as it heats up and the pump and gear box get warm and hot, it won't turn all the way to the left.....the steering wheel will give me the two complete turns but the drivers wheel turns about half way...It will turn fine to the right.....I get a clicking noise when maxed out on the left and right that sounds like it's coming from the pump not the gearbox.....It's ridiculous...I look like austin powers in the stupid cart trying to turn around.

I have a 78 FJ40 with a 350 TBI swap....if that helps

How common is it to twist an 80 sector shaft slightly-hitting a curb or stump or something? That would give it more turn one direction but the stops would stop it. You would loose steering the other way.

Did the mechanic take off the steering damper for any reason? Maybe to get at the A/C belt easier? Either way, If he did, he could have put the mounting plate on backward and your steering damper is keeping you from getting the full turn. It happened to me, can't blame another mechanic though :doh:

Happened to me the other day. Mine wouldn't turn left. Went to parking space turning right all the time and looked under the car. The bolt for the front lateral control rod was halfway out restricting the turn. Have to look from time to time.

Did the mechanic take off the steering damper for any reason? Maybe to get at the A/C belt easier? Either way, If he did, he could have put the mounting plate on backward and your steering damper is keeping you from getting the full turn. It happened to me, can't blame another mechanic though :doh:

Have seen this twice lately. One of them was so screwed up that he damaged the cylinder. John

Resurrecting this old thread. I have a similar problem. Did my oil pump gasket and now I cannot get full turn to the right. The only unusual issue I had was trouble getting the steering damper off. I busted the grease boot. Since then the damper blew a seal and has dumped its oil. I have no idea how this could be related and I cannot figure out if that would cause it to not turn fully to the right?

Thanks.

Sounds like you may have reversed the way the mounting bracket attaches to the front cross member/frame. Maybe you can post a pic? Or just try reversing the bracket? John

John,
hmm. That is totally possible, as we did drop that end of the damper during the oil pump gasket install. I am going to have to check that out in the morning. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom