STEERING PLAY & SHAKINESS (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

IH8MUD has been a great source of knowledge for me since I got my HJ47. I just recently replaced the glow plugs about 3days ago and it starts well after 30sec of pre-heat. I'm running on a 2H motor 12V.

My steering has a bit of play and its quite uncomfortable, I adjusted and tightened the knob from the bottom of the steering column but the play is still there. the play can be a bit dangerous when the car is moving at speeds higher than 80km/hr. Does the "steering dumper" contribute to the play? nevertheless, I'm still going to re[place the steering dumper for a new one.

The vehicle is shaky/vibrates a lot, is this a shocks/suspension issue or what? (although it feels like the suspension and the shocks are fine, perhaps still have to replace them eventually) how do I stabilize it, completely removing the shakiness/vibration or at least to a minimal?

Please, your contributions will greatly be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

-HJ47, beginner "self-learning" Mechanic

if possible, have someone turn the steering wheel while you look at all the steering components, all the tie rod ends, the center arm assembly, all those parts should rotate on there axis, if any other movement is noted, they need replaced or rebuilt
jack the front axle up and grab the wheel and see if there is movement in the trunion bearings or wheel bearings
check the leaf spring bushings, they most likely need attention

First thing I would confirm is, since it is a new to you truck, are the wheels and tires all balanced...Then start looking at the above stuff

I second the rag joint suggestion, a quick easy fix if the culprit as mine was last year.... Made a huge difference from being dangerous and a little scary to merely old big wheel wandering :)

Sorry for the lateness, i was having difficulties logging into the platform and had travelled to my farm for a couple days.

After diagnosing the machine I found that the biggest contributor to the vibrations was the prop shaft, I tightened it and now I only get slight vibrations at top speeds.

I will look into the rag joints and get back with feedback.

Thank you

Hi, attached is a pic of my rag joint
IMG_20210129_183621.jpg
IMG_20210129_183608.jpg

So that's what I'm working with (I even feel embarrassed saying this) manual steering box

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom