Steering parts - Questions for the initiated (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you do the repair yourself you will need additional tools and the tie rods needs a lot of force to separate (scary, metal bending force)

I have a lot of pictures here, to much to copy in this thread but it has helped me a lot to verify what others did and get a mental preparation.

hj60.freeforums.org • View topic - Power steering fluid + steering linkage tie rod

The old abused tierod can separate and result in no steering so you might want to stop driving it.

If you do the repair yourself you will need additional tools and the tie rods needs a lot of force to separate (scary, metal bending force)

I have a lot of pictures here, to much to copy in this thread but it has helped me a lot to verify what others did and get a mental preparation.

hj60.freeforums.org • View topic - Power steering fluid + steering linkage tie rod

The old abused tierod can separate and result in no steering so you might want to stop driving it.

Appreciated. Need to pull and send off the gearbox so I won't be driving it. Once the new one gets here I haven't decided if I'm going to tear the rest of it down myself or have the local garage I trust knock it out for me. I have a surprising amount of tools I inherited from my grandfather (pickle forks, special pullers, all kinds of things). Some I've used, some I just kinda stare at and think, "one day". So we'll see. :)

Any suggestions on separating the arm from the bottom of the gearbox besides "bigger hammer and crowbar"? Damn thing is the last bit but it's ON there.

Heat and hit it with a hammer. What tool are you using for removal?

Pics of the setup.

F%#k me. That thing was on there. Managed to get the relay rod off. I've half a mind to send this thing to WTOF with the arm attached. I mean...it's gotta be put back on at some point right?

I think I heard you can send it to them with the arm still attached, put it all in a 5 gallon bucket

You absolutely can send it to them with the arm connected.

Looks like color of the fluid in the system isn't going to tell me much about what kind of fluid it was.

Any tell-tale signs of knowing what the previous owner put in the system?

Trying to avoid having to flush this thing in my garage though if anyone has any tips on an easy way to do that I'm all ears.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, all.

Everything looks/feels SO much better. Need to run it over to get it aligned but other than that she's running smooth again. (try to ignore the disgusting shocks and other bits I've not gotten to replacing yet. :) )

elLwysZ.jpg

hH8G1kQ.jpg

1mr33yY.jpg

Just out of curiosity, how bad was your steering? My tie rod ends and drag link ends all seem to be tight and without slop, but I'm pretty sure the factory steering box needs to be gone through. My steering feels pretty sloppy and kinda wanders down the road. When the road crown changes, it really wants to dart around and in windy conditions it's hard to keep it in a straight line. Just wondering if the steering box rebuild would help these symptoms out or if I've got more issues elsewhere? Thanks...and everything looks nice!

Is that new linkage on the steering shaft going to the box?

Just out of curiosity, how bad was your steering? My tie rod ends and drag link ends all seem to be tight and without slop, but I'm pretty sure the factory steering box needs to be gone through. My steering feels pretty sloppy and kinda wanders down the road. When the road crown changes, it really wants to dart around and in windy conditions it's hard to keep it in a straight line. Just wondering if the steering box rebuild would help these symptoms out or if I've got more issues elsewhere? Thanks...and everything looks nice!

I would guess, and that's all I'm doing, that the steering box and possibly the steering damper are starting to go. I can't recommend West Texas Off Road enough for the box rebuild. Super fast. Reasonable price. I shipped a dirty part with the pitman arm still attached and got back a super clean, painted box with the arm removed. So pleased with that choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom