Steering parts - Questions for the initiated (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Noticed the old girl pulling pretty regularly to the right and the steering has been getting ever looser as well. Had an alignment shop take a look and low and behold I have some pretty tired old ends on various parts. My question really centers around what specifically do I need to be ordering.

The guy quickly jotted down a cheat sheet for me on what he saw was needed:
- 2 outer tie rods
- 1 ____ rod (goes between steering arm and pitman arm, claimed everyone has a different name for this thing)
- Steering damper
- Power steering gear box (it's been leaking for awhile)

I was poking around on cruiserparts.net and saw a few things that seem to me to be the right thing, but I need some of you to check my thinking on this all.

They have what they call a relay rod which I'm guessing is the mystery rod I mention above. It comes with EITHER one side or the other, but not both. They do sell the ends separately. Additionally there's a kit that comes with both tie rod ends and both relay rod ends, but no relay rod and no tie rods themselves. Then there's tie rods with left end and tie rods with right end. There's also steering dampers and rebuilt gear boxes. SO....

My guess is to buy:
- Relay rod WITH left end
- Relay rod right end only
- Tie rod with right end
- Tie rod with left end
- Steering damper
- Power steering gear box

Questions:
- Does all this sound legit?
- Should I need to replace the tie rods and or relay rod themselves or JUST the ends (the kit with all four ends would be far cheaper)?
- I was thinking of upgrading to an Ironman steering damper. Is this recommended? Others preferred? The truck is lifted with 33" tires and carries a lot of extra weight so I'm totally open to the idea that I may need to beef up the steering, I'm just clueless. Does anyone recommend aftermarket parts from another site?

Additionally, one last question:
I know I posted this question before, but I'll be damned if I can't find it in my history. When turning, hard, if I disengage the clutch I hear a lot of loud "thunk"ing coming from somewhere up front. Clunk clunk clunk clunk...it doesn't seem to happen when the wheels are under power. I seem to remember someone firing off an immediate answer as to what this was. Help?

Any and all help/opinions are very much appreciated. I need to tighten up this beast quickly. She's getting a bit scary to drive on the highway.

Last edited:
Fj60?
Triple five brand 555 from cruiseroutfitters, all tie rod ends. 4 pieces in kit. You should reuse the existing pipes / rods, unless bent.
Clunk is possibly the springpack bushing in shackle....
Send steer gearbox off for rebuild... West Texas Offroad?

What's your opinion on the "super heavy duty" upgrade from Man-a-fre? Seems to come with a new thicker walled (I'm guessing) relay rod, not just the ends. Was going to call tomorrow and ask.

As for the gearbox, was hoping to order something rebuilt...possibly with a core refund so I could get her rolling faster. Will call WTOR though to see.

I sleeved my stock stuff before I hit the Rubicon, but don;t see it as being necessary for 99% of the 60's out there.

I sleeved my stock stuff before I hit the Rubicon, but don;t see it as being necessary for 99% of the 60's out there.

Sorry, are you saying you don't see the Man-a-fre "super heavy duty" kit as being necessary or the sleeving that you did?

On a side note, you should credit the good doctor with that quote in your signature. ;)

I don't see the need for upgraded steering links unless you are fairly hard on your rig.

if I recall, if you by the end for the relay rod(or ties rod) from Toyota is comes with a free rod or maybe its the otherway around. But I seem to have a few tubes with OEM part # on them just laying around the garage.......

if nothing is bent just get the 555 kit

from what I have gathered most of the $400 rebuilt PS boxes are not the best, better to have yours rebuilt. Or you could find a spare(make sure you get the correct 1, there are 2 maybe 3 versions) and send it off to be rebuilt, than sell your old box.

two versions, the bolt pattern on the steering box is apparent.

Cruiserparts.net offers a rebuilt version for $300 (after $100 core refund), but still, point taken.

Good info on the rebuilding your own. I'll call the West Texas boys tomorrow and get my options figured out. Hopefully it isn't too much of a pain to pull. I don't have really any room in front of the cruiser to work in the garage and once I pull that thing it's not like if I back the truck out I can steer it back into it's spot.

Oh. steering dampers. Nobody has commented on this. OEM? Take a small step up to an aftermarket of some sort? Brand reco? I've heard Old Man Emu has sorta gone downhill from a couple folks, but not sure how reliable that is.

The toyota version comes with rods attached. The 555 version is just the ends and is cheaper as a result, but of good quality... but as said above, if neither of the rods are bent, just get the 555 kit from cruiser outfitters and go for it. It's not a hard job, though you should get a puller or pickle fork (search tie rod ends or TREs and this will make sense). I have the OME steering damper, which I think cruiser outfitters sells as well. Works fine but I have nothing to compare it to as it came with the truck.

Also, Cruiseryard sells a rebuilt steering box (w/ core swap) and if I'm not mistaken he's somewhere closer to you than New Hampshire (cruiserparts).

Getting a rebuilt box and swapping it when you do your TREs is the best option logistically, if you can swing it. You'll need to do an alignment after it's all buttoned up and while that is not that bad of a DIY (check the FAQs for "do your own alignment"), why do it twice?

Yeah, just want to confirm nothing is bent first and then I'll be going with the 555 ends. Phone call tomorrow to WTOR to figure out a plan with the steering gear box.

Honestly I'm not seeing a lot of options for steering dampers. OME or OEM seem to be the widely available ones. Man, I never noticed how confusing those abbreviations can be.

I use OME steering damper on my rigs. They work just fine.

Rods are fine. Ordered the 555 ends and an OME damper from Cruiser Outfitters. Spoke with the WTOR guys and when I have a spare hour I'll yank the gearbox and fire it off their way.

Just to make sure someone in the past didn't pour PS fluid into the system I'm going to flush the pump out while I have it apart. Anyone think it may be worth it to put new hoses on while I'm in there?

The high pressure hose is no longer available. Any 3/8" power steering return hose available at an auto parts store can be used to replace the return hose. But since it's not under any pressure, its replacement really isn't critical unless the hose clamp has cracked and split the end of the hose.

Well, that sounds like a party. Out of curiosity what are people doing when the high pressure line goes? Is that just the point which you go to the saginaw (sp?) because there's no fixing it?

Have a hose made..

NAPA has the high pressure hose with fitting for under $30.

Rods are fine. Ordered the 555 ends and an OME damper from Cruiser Outfitters. Spoke with the WTOR guys and when I have a spare hour I'll yank the gearbox and fire it off their way.

Just to make sure someone in the past didn't pour PS fluid into the system I'm going to flush the pump out while I have it apart. Anyone think it may be worth it to put new hoses on while I'm in there?

Thanks for your order and great chatting today!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom