Steering Linkage Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so I posted yesterday about pitman arm/drag link connection. Thought I would clear it up a bit. So the pitman arm comes out of the steering box and connects to the drag link, which in turn connects the steering stabilizer and such. Where the pitman arm connects to the drag link, the link joint knob (male peice that connects to the pitman arm) is exposed about 1/2 inch. The drag link has lots of vertical play. I think I need to get in there and tighten the ball stud, so I remove the cotter pin and then what? Damn, I really need to burn this haynes manual and get a FSM. Suggestions?

David:eek:

Are you asking how to remove the rod ends?
Do you have a camera you can take a pic with and show what your asking?
I got confused after the first sentence, but then again...Im not terribly bright either.

Chicago

Is there a rubber boot on the "male" piece below the pitman arm. The tie rod end (the "male" piece) should look similar to this:
80end_500.jpg

I think I need to get in there and tighten the ball stud, so I remove the cotter pin and then what?

Tighten the end plug and then back it off a turn. A spring keeps the seats on the stud so don't overtighten. Then shoot some grease in there. This isn't a fix, it's only to adjust play. If they're in bad shape don't hesitate to replace them.

PoeDog, We need to get the parts straight. The pitman connects to the relay rod, and that should be tight with NO movement. What I think you are talking about however, are the tie rod ends which connect to the knuckle arms. A picture would help. But easy to tell, just go outside & look. If what is sloppy is connected to the knuckles, then you are talking 'tie rods'. The picture in post 3 is the tie rod end.

And if that is what you are talking about, there can be some movement there. Designed to move about/rotate... a bit. But if they feel too sloppy (you can tell), they need to be replaced. Easy job and can make major improvement.

Does this help?

Thanks, John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom