Steering knuckle seal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Let’s play “what do I have to fix now?”

8CE9EF85-3C68-43D1-B1D3-41D445490596.png

Groaning sound when I steer like a bad power steering unit, but clearly I’m leaking fluid like a sieve. Thoughts?

Rebuild the gearbox, no way around it. Send it out or do it yourself. Most send their boxes out to West Texas Offroad. Rebuilding isn't terrible, just requires a few special tools to get everything apart.

just be aware there are 2 versions of the 60/62 steering box, the bolt pattern changed, if finding a good used replacement be certain you get the correct box.

that is the steering box, knuckles are at each end of the front axle

just be aware there are 2 versions of the 60/62 steering box, the bolt pattern changed, if finding a good used replacement be certain you get the correct box.

that is the steering box, knuckles are at each end of the front axle

thanks for the correction, and I’ll make sure to double check the pattern.

Groaning sound when applying pressure to the steering wheel is coming from the power steering pump.
If it's leaking, it should be replaced.
Even a good pump can groan if the fluid is old, wrong, or low (sucking air).
Using power steering fluid (instead of the correct ATF) can make the pump groan especially when it's cold.

Groaning sound when applying pressure to the steering wheel is coming from the power steering pump.
If it's leaking, it should be replaced.
Even a good pump can groan if the fluid is old, wrong, or low (sucking air).
Using power steering fluid (instead of the correct ATF) can make the pump groan especially when it's cold.

I'm guessing all the fluid has leaked out through the break in the gear box.

West Texas (miraculously) had a replacement ready to go, so I'm getting theirs hopefully fairly soon. Thanks all for your help!

Just replaced mine. For me, even with the proper tools, rebuilding my old unit was very difficult, i have teh repair manual but pressing out the old bearings was very hard, I would up putting it back together and will send it out for a professional to rebuild

I replaced my gear unit on my 85 FJ60 with one from a FJ80 - ordered it from Rock auto - about 350$ including the 80$ core - it was a direct swap - but the 1985 and later have the same bolt pattern ( its slightly offset) and teh 80 series gear is HEAVIER and taller than the 60 series so you will need to fold in the inner fender a little

Just replaced mine. For me, even with the proper tools, rebuilding my old unit was very difficult, i have teh repair manual but pressing out the old bearings was very hard, I would up putting it back together and will send it out for a professional to rebuild

I replaced my gear unit on my 85 FJ60 with one from a FJ80 - ordered it from Rock auto - about 350$ including the 80$ core - it was a direct swap - but the 1985 and later have the same bolt pattern ( its slightly offset) and teh 80 series gear is HEAVIER and taller than the 60 series so you will need to fold in the inner fender a little

Just to piggy back on this, on talking with WTO when I bought my new box, they had nothing fond to say about rebuilding those boxes. They say they're the most finicky and brittle things they work on, and even if they do everything right, they may still fail.

At some point, I'm going to replace my steering with their hydraulic option, but that's a lot of money from now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom