Steering Kit Recommendations For 1990 4Runner (2nd Gen) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, noobie post here. I got my first Toyota 6 months ago, a 1990 2nd gen 4runner 4x4 3.0L (I got sucked in when my brother in law got the red FJ a few years ago). The steering components have free-play and I'm going to replace it. I searched the forum for some kit recommendations but couldn't find any. Any kit recommendations you have? Brands, sites, etc... to go to or avoid. OEM or light off roading ride is fine. It is mostly stock and going to keep it that way. I like this kit and that it includes the idler arm, but not sure of site or brand quality.

My 4 runner needs to:
- be my daily driver
- light off roading on forest roads to camp spots
- no wheeling
- no rock climbing

Only after market parts on it are:
- after market torsion bars that raise it to ride flat
- OME shocks and stabilizer
- 31" MT tires

IMG_7131.jpeg

IMG_7698.jpeg

Hi all, noobie post here. I got my first Toyota 6 months ago, a 1990 2nd gen 4runner 4x4 3.0L (I got sucked in when my brother in law got the red FJ a few years ago). The steering components have free-play and I'm going to replace it. I searched the forum for some kit recommendations but couldn't find any. Any kit recommendations you have? Brands, sites, etc... to go to or avoid. OEM or light off roading ride is fine. It is mostly stock and going to keep it that way. I like this kit and that it includes the idler arm, but not sure of site or brand quality.

My 4 runner needs to:
- be my daily driver
- light off roading on forest roads to camp spots
- no wheeling
- no rock climbing

Only after market parts on it are:
- after market torsion bars that raise it to ride flat
- OME shocks and stabilizer
- 31" MT tires

View attachment 3222045

View attachment 3222046
First Welcome to Mud :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:(official salute of MUD). That is a beautiful 4Runner you got and that red 60 is stunning (don't call them FJ) you can call it 60 FJ60 or just Landcruiser FJ is for the FJ cruiser. Please save your money and get good quality parts there is a reason why they cost that low I don't think you want to re do all that after a few years I just recently did my entire steering components on my 93 pick up I got MOOG parts from Rockauto they also have a rep here on MUD that gives you 5% off on your purchases. Keep posting and ask if you can't find it on the FAQ.

I daily drive my 1st gen 4runner city/hwy, we have nearly the same ifs front end components

I'm very pleased with my 4crawler upgraded idler arm and new moog tie rod ends(all replaceable end links for steering were replaced with moog). OEM would also be a good choice for end links. I chose moog as I have always had good service with moog replacement parts

I put extended front sway bar end links and an entire prothane (maybe energy suspension) poly mounts on the rig. This meant burning them out of the control arms and shimming arm mount bolts a bit for smooth rotation.

For wheel bearings I replaced with OE japanese bearings front and rear.

For seals to keep everything leak free I used marlin crawlers eco seals.

For brakes I first went with 94 4runner v6 front 4 piston calipers/rotors, master cylinder and brake booster. I also installed new stainless brake cables.

I later went in and converted to 4 wheel disks that required and adapter and gmc 1 ton master cylinder. For me this works well, the driving manners are great but the little lady wouldn't have the strength to pull the parking brake lever out enough clicks to lock it. Not something I'd trust a valet parking attendant to set.

I kept stock torsion bars as I wanted a somewhat smooth ride. I installed ball joints spacer lifts so I could leave the torsion bars relaxed a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom