Steering; Hydro assist, full hydro, ram assist, I'm confused

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I did some research on various types of hydraulic assist steering, and came across this thread here that mentions West Texas Offroad's Redneck Ram system and a similar system by Rocklogic. I seem to remember reading a few years back about another method where the steering dampner is replaced by a ram that also receives hydraulic power via the steering box. Is this the full hydro that I've seen/heard people talk about? Though at this point I really see no reason to do this with stock tires (or even 31" for that matter), but once I SOA my rig it would most likely be a good idea for 37" tires. I'm pretty much just doing research "for future reference" so I can have everything mapped out exactly for when I'm ready to do it.

I've also seen mentioned that the stock PS pump can be modified for greater flow and pressure, but haven't been able to find anything detailing the procedure. Everything I've found is for Saginaw pumps. Anyone think it'd be wise to mod the pump if I'm running hydroboost brakes AND ram assist (or full hydro) steering?

you can use the stock power steering box with a mod to make it hyro assist. personally i think this is the best method because you still have the backup mechanical system just incase the hydrolics go out on your truck. if you go full hyrdo you could be left stranded on the trail. also with hydro assist you can feel your tires better and are less likely to break something. im pretty sure once you get to a 37" tire size you should begin thinking about something like hydro assist. im not sure where you could send your ps pump out to to get it modified but i do know that there are people out there that will do it for not too much money.

good luck
-Thomas

Full hydro does not use a draglink or a "steering box" instead they use a single or double ended ram and just a tierod. The steering box is replaced by an orbital valve.
Hydro assist is what you would want. and is detailed in the West Texas off roas site. The mods to a toyota pump are very similar to the mods to a sag pump. They basicaly work the same.

Yes I would mod the pump for hydroboost and hydro assist.
My CC F350 has hydroboost and when I romp on the brakes I will sometimes lose steering ability

Boxes have the exact same internals, so drilling/tapping is exactly the same. The only difference is that we hook our lines up apposite to how the mini guys do b/c our pitman arm faces forward on the box and thiers face rearwards.

muddogbob said:
Boxes have the exact same internals, so drilling/tapping is exactly the same. The only difference is that we hook our lines up apposite to how the mini guys do b/c our pitman arm faces forward on the box and thiers face rearwards.

Interesting. I'll have to plan on doing this once I'm ready to SOA it. Would there be any negative effects to doing this with stock or 31" tires prior to the SOA? I'm thinking in relation to street driving and highway speeds.

With a 1.5" ram there will bo no downsides...

It takes 10 minutes to get used to on the road. After that you don't even know it's there....untill you have the front end locked and wedged!

muddogbob said:
It takes 10 minutes to get used to on the road. After that you don't even know it's there....untill you have the front end locked and wedged!

Very cool. I guess I may as well go ahead and do it when I have the spare time and money to work on it. Be nice to prepare the truck for SOA one step at a time to avoid a big cost when it comes time to do it.

Hydro assist does not affect return to center in any way. A reactive orbital valve will also return to center. A non-reative will not.

Mark...

Mark has it. Return to center is only something that you have to worry about witha Full hydro system. Not a Hydro assist system... With hydro assist if the truck does not return to center you have more problems than your steering type ;)

I got hydro-assist on my BTJ62 in anticipation of running 37's, but ended up running 35's instead. Took me a couple of days to get used to the different steering but now I can't remember the non-assisted, it works great. Even for daily driving it works well, especially when parking in tight spots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom