Steering.. HJ60.. Finally fixed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been chasing less than ideal steering in my 60 for a few weeks. It was very prone to wander and tram-track. A lot of very overdue maintenance and one quite serious failure. I've had this vehicle about 18months and finally found the time to make it right.

• On initial inspection I found the passenger side steering arm was loose (top of the knuckle). Fixed - still wandered
  • Driver's side wheel bearing was loose. Fixed - still wandered
  • All of the tie rod ends were end of life.. All four replaced and did a rough home wheel alignment - still wandered.
  • Spotted a broken spring (photo below).. Replaced - still wandered.
  • Rebuilt both knuckles completely and got it professionally aligned - still wandered
  • Adjusted the steering box as per FSM - still wandered
And finally, got back under it and had another look, found all four steering box bolts were loose and the box was moving (video below). Fixed and at last its steering like a brand new 60 series! So pleased.

Moral of the story.. dunno, a more experienced guy might have picked all the faults with a thorough inspection - I kept missing stuff. Maybe check your own steering box bolts next time you're under your bus.

Bonus video at bottom.. how to pop out a birfield thats binding when you remove it.. (bent housing maybe).

The broken spring
1588152164506.png

1588152078340.png

The loose steering box:

How to pop a birf out that's binding:

I've been chasing less than ideal steering in my 60 for a few weeks. It was very prone to wander and tram-track. A lot of very overdue maintenance and one quite serious failure. I've had this vehicle about 18months and finally found the time to make it right.

• On initial inspection I found the passenger side steering arm was loose (top of the knuckle). Fixed - still wandered
  • Driver's side wheel bearing was loose. Fixed - still wandered
  • All of the tie rod ends were end of life.. All four replaced and did a rough home wheel alignment - still wandered.
  • Spotted a broken spring (photo below).. Replaced - still wandered.
  • Rebuilt both knuckles completely and got it professionally aligned - still wandered
  • Adjusted the steering box as per FSM - still wandered
And finally, got back under it and had another look, found all four steering box bolts were loose and the box was moving (video below). Fixed and at last its steering like a brand new 60 series! So pleased.

Moral of the story.. dunno, a more experienced guy might have picked all the faults with a thorough inspection - I kept missing stuff. Maybe check your own steering box bolts next time you're under your bus.

Bonus video at bottom.. how to pop out a birfield thats binding when you remove it.. (bent housing maybe).

The broken spring
View attachment 2289365

View attachment 2289364

The loose steering box:

How to pop a birf out that's binding:

A good aftermarket steering stabilizer will help too..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom