Steering gearbox input shaft - can it be replaced..? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m in the UK which means corrosion is significant. My steering gearbox has a small leak so I decided to rebuild a spare box and swap it in. Problem is, the steering input shaft UJ was so rusted to the input shaft it categorically wouldn’t budge. I had been soaking the UJ in penetrant for 2 weeks before I tried to remove it. Then the input shaft snapped.

8D7F7AC3-2F50-4F57-9709-758486402F09.jpeg

So, onto spare gearbox number two. Same issue, only this time I eventually managed to get the UJ off. Unfortunately it is not the win I had hoped for. The input shaft splines are so rusty that to reuse the shaft doesn’t seem sensible. I’ve cleaned it with a wire brush and the whole exposed end of the shaft is deeply pitted with corrosion.

F27F7BD4-E7CF-4AC4-8FEB-84387AB1FBAE.jpeg

76F8B0A9-E8E6-4C3F-9182-5A82DD939AC8.jpeg

Looking on Toyodiy it doesn’t appear to be a replaceable part.... Is that right?

Last edited:
I’m in the UK which means corrosion is significant. My steering gearbox has a small leak so I decided to rebuild a spare box and swap it in. Problem is, the steering input shaft UJ was so rusted to the input shaft it categorically wouldn’t budge. I had been soaking the UJ in penetrant for 2 weeks before I tried to remove it. Then the input shaft snapped.

View attachment 2478605

So, onto spare gearbox number two. Same issue, only this time I eventually managed to get the UJ off. Unfortunately it is not the win I had hoped for. The input shaft splines are so rusty that to reuse the shaft doesn’t seem sensible. I’ve cleaned it with a wire brush and the whole exposed end of the shaft is deeply pitted with corrosion.

View attachment 2478607
View attachment 2478609

Looking on Toyodiy it doesn’t appear to be a replaceable part.... Is that right?
Splines are OK. I'd use it. Otherwise, gearbox #3......

Splines are OK. I'd use it. Otherwise, gearbox #3......

I was afraid that’d be my only option. All gearboxes here will be in pretty much the same condition so not worth the risk of wasting money.

hamme ra wedge- shaped chisel into the slot to open it up next time- then work it. Back it on wood when hammering the chisel in. Shouldn't take very much. Midwest usa is the same way. rust on there isn't a big issue. Didn't realize it was hollow that far up. Do the same to the slots in the tie rods when adjusting or changing-open- soak-work- move- wire wheel threads- coat with antiseize.

The input shaft is available as part of the valve assembly, which includes everything from the shaft to the piston, which I believe is part # 4412060170 for US trucks, although it is almost certainly different for your vehicle as you have a different steering box than what we get in the US. I believe it's typically around $1200.

Last edited:
The input shaft is available as part of the valve assembly, which includes everything from the shaft to the piston, which I believe is part # 4412060170 for US trucks, although it is almost certainly different for your vehicle as you have a different steering box than what we get in the US. I believe it's typically around $1200.
If that's the case, maybe he could buy a valve kit for his VIN through Partsouq?

Small triangular file to clean each spline with a few strokes. It'll serve another couple decades with some corrosion protection after assembly. My solution is a prodigious splattering of fluid film everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom