Steering gear box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The FJ-60 hose number for gates and omega are different then for a FJ-80
When I put the FJ-80 in the FJ-60 I replaced with a new FJ-60 pressure line and it has a slow leak were it goes in the gear box I tried two of them?

The FJ-60 hose
Power Steering Pressure Line Hose Assembly GATES fits 81-87 Toyota Land Cruiser Pressure Line Assembly Part# 358800

NEW Toyota OMEGA Land Cruiser Omega # W0133-1787212

The FJ-80 hose is Power Steering Gearbox For Toyota Land Cruiser Lexus LX450 FJ80 FZJ80 1990-1997
NEW Toyota OMEGA Land C Lexus LX450 Power Steering Pressure Hose 4441160430

Power Steering Pressure Line Hose Assembly-Pressure Line Assembly GATES 365550

Cross-checking several parts sources, it APPEARS that (late) FJ60's and FJ80's share the same parts #s for steering box hoses , fittings, and pump. Do a search.. other mudders have have done this swap with no plumbing problems. Here's hoping.
Hey, Thanks for the info. Since I posted I have found out that it is a direct bolt in for late 60s. I will post up when I do the install:cheers:.

The FJ-60 hose number for gates and omega are different then for a FJ-80
When I put the FJ-80 in the FJ-60 I replaced with a new FJ-60 pressure line and it has a slow leak were it goes in the gear box I tried two of them?

The FJ-60 hose
Power Steering Pressure Line Hose Assembly GATES fits 81-87 Toyota Land Cruiser Pressure Line Assembly Part# 358800

NEW Toyota OMEGA Land Cruiser Omega # W0133-1787212

The FJ-80 hose is Power Steering Gearbox For Toyota Land Cruiser Lexus LX450 FJ80 FZJ80 1990-1997
NEW Toyota OMEGA Land C Lexus LX450 Power Steering Pressure Hose 4441160430

Power Steering Pressure Line Hose Assembly-Pressure Line Assembly GATES 365550
I am going to save these part #s just in case I need them. Thanks for the research:cheers:.

@FJ60Cam can you make lines with the needed PS fittings?

An FJ60 line is all you need in this case. It will thread into the 80 box. There should be more than enough slack to make it work.

When you do the install please let me know how it worked? Like I said I tried the high pressure hose that was on the truck, after a few miles I found a small leak were the FJ-60 hose goes into the 80 box. So I tried the gates #35880 that they have listed for a FJ-60 still a leak, Then tried the W0133-1787212 one from omega for a FJ-60 and still a small leak. Maybe I have a bad FJ-80 gear box? The hose goes in but there is a slow leak.

When you do the install please let me know how it worked? Like I said I tried the high pressure hose that was on the truck, after a few miles I found a small leak were the FJ-60 hose goes into the 80 box. So I tried the gates #35880 that they have listed for a FJ-60 still a leak, Then tried the W0133-1787212 one from omega for a FJ-60 and still a small leak. Maybe I have a bad FJ-80 gear box? The hose goes in but there is a slow leak.
I will do so. It will be a while as I am recovering from shoulder surgery. I will resurrect this thread when I do the job with pics:cheers:.

I have the Napa hose to my 80 box on my 62. I used permatex high pressure thread sealant and don’t have a leak.

I'm interested in swapping in the FJ80 steering gear. Can I use my existing pitman arm?

There are a couple sellers on ebay selling fj80 boxes that are new not a rebuild an exact replace $400. I replaced my rebuilt one with the new one works much better. The pitman arm bolts right on. If the one you are replacing is an orginal after 35 years it could be a pain in the ass to separate.

I have a 383 chevy motor and the toyota line fittings will work with the chevy power steering pump. I just had a shorter high pressure line made, as the toyota line is to long.

Last edited:
I am thinking of going this route as my steering is getting very loose. No leaks in the factory box, but I'v replaced the tie-rod ends with no improvement. Any reason not to go with this box on E-Bay? I'm assuming it's not OEM, but I'm interested in it's being new. Is it better to get a used OEM box and rebuild it?

Thanks!
Clark

I am thinking of going this route as my steering is getting very loose. No leaks in the factory box, but I'v replaced the tie-rod ends with no improvement. Any reason not to go with this box on E-Bay? I'm assuming it's not OEM, but I'm interested in it's being new. Is it better to get a used OEM box and rebuild it?

Thanks!
Clark
I saw found the same item and was wondering the same thing. I found a local rebuilder that quoted me $450 for a rebuild of my unit, so long as the sector shaft was in good condition. This seems like less of a risk plus updated internals, with less down time.

Thanks!
Clark
I think if we can get a toyota part # for the 80 gearbox, we could try partsouq or even a local dealership. I mean they are new toyota parts so EBAY sellers are looking to tack $$.

I'm wrong this one was $1767.23 on partsouq OUCH!!!!

1645812321607.png

OEM will be stamped with TOYODA. IMO I would not trust EBAY purchase of an aftermarket steering box. Google image search shows the exact same gear box shown on EBAY as well as other vendors- meaning the image is a stock image and probably not a true representative of the item for sell.

E92CDBD7-9CCA-4CC2-B7F7-7341727B0489.jpeg

I found a used one on car-part.com that had an A rating for $200. Although used this box has been tight and leak free.

An option to new or questionable ebay is buy a used one and if good run it, if it leaks send it out to a reputable rebuilder. Even with a rebuild it will come in under the price of a new OEM box.

I have been using the new aftermarket $400 one for three months about 1500 miles, works great tighter then a rebuild that I put in a year ago. Just bought another new one as a back up incase

Thanks!
Clark
go for it. I bought two of them at $394 each. Have 3 months 1500 miles still working much better then a rebuild I got on e-bay a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom