Steering freeplay/ gear box adjusting screw (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I adjusted my steering freeplay as the FSM says. Loosen locknut on steering gear box and tighten the adjusting screw. It worked great!

However, I might have very slightly overtightened the screw as I have under ~25 mm of steering wheel freeplay. Is there anything wrong with this. Is the gear box forgiving if I slightly overtighten the steering? So far, the turning seems fine, no rough spots etc.

I really like the steering. It's like driving a new truck. Before the adjustment, I could turn the steering wheel more than a 1/4 turn before the wheels would engage.

Any thoughts.

I thought I read somewhere of increased wear as a result of tightening...

Can't find now. Anything in the FSM regarding "caution" with this step?

-uberhahn

Ummm.. The FSM describes a procedure to set the bearing preload with the adjuster screw when the gearbox is on the bench and you can measure the torque in in-lbs. Tightening the adjuster by "feeling" for play in the steering wheel will practically guarantee overtightening it.

OTOH, adjustement can be done with the thing assembled but do it very carefully and back it off an 1/8 turn or so after tightening.

I will probably back off a bit just for good measure. Here is what I went by. Toyota FSM.

Question: How, or what does it harm if it iss too tight? The worm gears? PS pump?
FSM steering.JPG

If overtightened, I think it harms the steering gear box...which is a very expensive part. I don't claim to be an expert on this at all, but I think this adjustment is only to set pre-load, not to compensate for excessive wear.

My cruiser had lots of slop in the steering when I bought it. Replaced lots, and learned lots ove the next few years. All of it is listed in this link...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=18543

HTH...

lovetoski said:
If overtightened, I think it harms the steering gear box...which is a very expensive part. I don't claim to be an expert on this at all, but I think this adjustment is only to set pre-load, not to compensate for excessive wear.

My cruiser had lots of slop in the steering when I bought it. Replaced lots, and learned lots ove the next few years. All of it is listed in this link...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=18543

HTH...

Thanks lovetoski,
I have read your post and thank you for the write-up. However, all other components you mention are in great condition on my truck. I have backed off the adjustment screw about two turns and retightend the locknut. I now have what seems to be the correct amount of steering wheel play. The truck still steers great with no slop or rough spots.

I really do not want to do any harm to the steering gear box as they are very expensive to replace :eek: . Should I back off the adjustment screw even more? Again, the steering feels great, much better than it was before. There seemed to be way too much play in the steering before. I had to turn the adjustment screw at least four complete turns until tight. I have now back off ~ two turns.

I appreciate additional coments.

My manual doesn't have the on vehicle adjusment procedure. Its the '81 Body and Chassis book. Is the one you posted from the Service supplement?

The adjuster screw is setting the position of the sector shaft in the box. The sector shaft has tapered teeth on it so the backlash between the worm and the sector changes as the sector is adjusted. Four turns of the adjuster screw sounds like a lot but maybe there is a lot of wear in your box. Most of the wear occurs where the wheels are aimed straight forward. Whenever you adjust the box, make sure you crank the steering to the stops in both directions. Snug in the middle may be too tight at the ends. I like to put the front axle up on jack stands and do it with the engine off. The power steering boost makes it hard to feel it binding. Even better if you can pop the steering stabilizer loose but that's usually a PITA.

Thanks 60wag,

The pic came out of the chasis-body manual in pdf. format from Birfield.com.

With the truck on and the tires on the ground, the steering seems to be even from stop to stop. I will put the front axle on jackstands twithout the power on and check it out.

About 20 years ago i was taught by an old man to just tighten 1/8 of a turn at a time, then test it. I do know if you overtighten them it will cause internal damage to the gears. Puts too much stress on the gears inside.

Benji, how easy or difficult was it to get to this screw? Where is it?

Guys, keep in mind that not all 60s in the world came with PS - the image posted from a SM looks suspiciously like a manual box, which is less sensitive to misadjustment.

Peepers: I was able to get a wrench locked onto the nut from under the DS fender. I then went in from the hood with a long flat head screw driver. You have to hold the nut in place, turn the screw, and tighten the nut while keeping the screw in place. It was tricky at first, but I was able to use the fender as a 'catch' for the wrench so the nut would not continure to turn.

Cuisergreg: I have PS. That being said, I should probably take more precautions about how much I tighten the screw. I wish I understood the mechanics of it more.

Glad you posted this Ben. I remember turning mine in about two revs. Haven't driven mine much lately but I didn't notice any binding. I see now I should really get it up on stands and see what it does. Don't think mine was as loose as yours to begin with. You coming Sat. ?

its easiest to do with three people if youre ever just standing around near your cruiser takes less than five minutes. one up top with the screwdriver one under the fender with the locknut and one on the steering wheel.

brett76 said:
its easiest to do with three people if youre ever just standing around near your cruiser takes less than five minutes. one up top with the screwdriver one under the fender with the locknut and one on the steering wheel.

Aint that the truth.

Benji said:
The truck still steers great with no slop or rough spots.

Reading through your comments, keeping in mind that I'm not always sure I know what I'm talking about!!! - I think you have got it just right. All your other steering components are in top shape, and now with the re-adjustment everthing "feels" right. This is a good sign. Drink a beer (or whatever you prefer) and enjoy!

UPDATE:

60wag was right: When I tightend the adjustment screw it helped tighten the steering freeplay when the wheels were near the forward position. However, when the wheels were turned near the end of the stop it was much more difficult to turn. The steer felt real tight near the end. I backed off the screw so that I was a little more than a turn from where it was before I adjusted it in the first place. It now feels tighter at the begining of the turn and it stays the same consistancy (smooth) throughout the turn.

Moral of story: When you tighten the gear box adjustment screw, do it in small increments.

Thanks for all the help guys.

benji

I've been trying to do this same adjustment to my 85 60. I can get the lock nut loose no problems but the adjusting screw seems to turn about 1 revolution in any direction nice and easily then it gets really really tight and hard to turn. Is this right? do I just need to be a bit less of a pussy and give it some elbow grease?

overtightening will eventually become an issue as your steeting box is no different than any other gear box in that it requires a bit of space between the moving parts for lubricant. I've got no idea what the mfg. spec. on this is but you will be fairly safe snugging (not tightening) it up then backing it off by 1/8th of a turn. This should give enough clearence and still keep the feel of your steering tight.

clyde60 said:
I've been trying to do this same adjustment to my 85 60. I can get the lock nut loose no problems but the adjusting screw seems to turn about 1 revolution in any direction nice and easily then it gets really really tight and hard to turn. Is this right? do I just need to be a bit less of a pussy and give it some elbow grease?

Mine is the same way. It seemed like it was locked up. I can only turn mine 1/2 turn total. What happens if you romp on it to loosen more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom