Steering freeplay/ gear box adjusting screw (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

msummer said:
Mine is the same way. It seemed like it was locked up. I can only turn mine 1/2 turn total. What happens if you romp on it to loosen more?

Mine was like that. I determinded that there was rust on the screw where I couldn't see it, making it almost impossible to turn. I kept soaking it in penatrating oil, (and using a very small wire brush to clean the threads) until it loosened. Now it turns in either direction just fine.

I was more paranoid about stripping the slot on the screw more than anything else. In retrospect it seems like very hard steel, so no worries

It seems incredibly sensitive adjustment for such a otherwise rough 4x4: 1/4 turn too much and the box starts binding, 1/4 too loose and it starts to get sloppy.

Critical is holding the adjustment screw in EXACT postion while tightening the locknut.

BTW, does anyone know where the grease nipple is for the PS box in a 62? If there is one?

J BTW said:
There is no grease nipple on a FJ60 Power Steering Gear Box, it is lubricated by the Dextron III Transmission Fluid (used as the Power Steering Fluid). I imagine the FJ62 is similar if not identical.

HTH

Matt

Let me tell you guys that this little adjustment makes a world of difference.

Some tips:

1. Spray some PB blaster the night before to soak-in on the nut and screw.

2. Jacking the front end up on stands helps a lot. It was easy to adjust and get a feel for any possible binding(when turning the wheels from left to right all the way) that may occur if over tightened. The engine doesn't even have to be on to turn the wheels this way.

3. A helping hand is a plus when going to tighten the screw once you're ready. The helper can hold the screw in place from up on top while you tighten the nut from the side.

4. As someone mentioned before, the nut is easily accessible from the drivers side fender behind the rubber flaps.

Good luck

From Charley, posted in the 40 section:

You don't want to tighten the steering box adjuster nut if the pitman shaft bushings are worn out. This can crack your box casting when you hit a bump. Replace the worn bushings first.

I am wondering if over-tightening will increase wear on those pitman shaft bushings?

Dumb question time on an old thread....If you tighten the adjustment screw all the way and you still have too much play in the box what can you do? Can you loosen the clamp where the steering column mounts to the box allowing the shaft to slide more?

Dumb question time on an old thread....If you tighten the adjustment screw all the way and you still have too much play in the box what can you do? Can you loosen the clamp where the steering column mounts to the box allowing the shaft to slide more?
Have you read the fsm? Pretty sure it tells clear ways to adjust. @OSS probably knows or @CenTXFJ60 I know has spoken to me about it. But has it been rebuilt yet?

Yep, have a fsm. No it hasn't been rebuilt. It isn't leaking, just has beyond spec play. Play is in gearbox, not in steering components like tie rods, linkage, etc
Not trying to be a bitch, but definitely no wetness on the frame or the shock at all?

Only adjust screw when steering box is centered . If adjusted off center it will be too tight when centered after adjustment

No problem, I have thick skin and always open to learn. No real leaks. But what would a leaky seal have to do with play in the gear?

Looking at several rebuild threads either my adjuster is bottomed out and cant pull the shaft up anymore or the gears are too worn.

With 236K miles my guess is the box is pretty worn. I am wondering if rebuilding it will fix my problem, or if I should just live with the play? i see you can get a rebuilt one for $250 or so. I wonder if it would be any better!

It has been raining in SC for two solid days. So, I removed the gear box. I took the top lid off where the adjuster bolt is. It was really hard to remove. I think something was hung up in there. I got the shaft moving up and down and put it all back together. Plenty of adjustment now. I think the shaft was frozen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom