Steering Fluid is Pouring Out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I looked under the Rig today (97/ 80 model with 98K on the odo) and I noticed an oil puddle, after further inspection it was the steering fluid, the reservoir was almost completely out of oil, I added some more and started the engine and long and behold it came out pouring like you never seen it before.

I crawled underneath it and all I can see that the leak is coming from the elbowed like small steel tubing, looked from the top and tried to locate if the leak is coming from above but I could not see anything, got the engine going again to locate the source of leak but again all I can see that the leak is coming from the small diameter tubing behind the bumper from below.

My Questions are:

-Was the steering pump damaged at this point and how could I know for sure as I drove for 60-70 miles round trip yesterday and I did not detect the problem until this morning ?

-Any one with ideas if possible can point me where to look as I will be attempting to fix it myself if necessary , and Can I drive the rig to someone's shop if need be or am I at risk of blowing the steering pump if it is not blown by now ?

-Could the leak be coming from another source that I am not aware of or can not be seen easily ?

Thanks to all of your help in advance.

Al

Al,
the line goes down to the lower edge of the radiator regoin?? if so that is the line to the ps fluid cooler. my breakdown is kidn of sketchy so not sure but it is either the return hose for $20 or the pressure side for $200 or the cooler itself for $300 note these are list prices as per my accident database so nto the bible check with c dan for better prices.

high pressure hose??

Phaedros,

I just came from underneath the rig, and I was able to determine where the leak is coming from, it is the steel tubing part the kind of snake around behind the bumper and yes it is below the radiator section, I do not know if this is referred to as the return hose or the pressure side hose, I am looking in my FSM and I can not see any reference to it.

C-Dan can you help ?

Hi Al, only stopping by when you need something?

That's probably the oil cooler. I just replaced mine. It didn't fail yet but it is common and when I got it out it looked terrible. Search on oil cooler and you should find a post by CDan on the price. It's in the $300.00 range from what I remember. To replace it you would need to remove tha radiator to get to 2 mounting bolts that are under it. If your going that far have them put in a new fan VC as well. Check out "post 3474" it has a list of all the common things you might expect to see fail as I did them all this past week.

BTW, how's the family?

Our post past each other give me a call 978.273.0493

I just replaced the high pressure hose a few weekends ago. It was dripping, but hadn't sported the massive spuge dump similiar to yours'. I'd think it could just be the hose, but the hose is pricey as is the pump. Definitely make sure you can see which is the leakster before you just start replacing parts.

If it's the shiny u shaped bend inbetween two rubber lines, then that sounds like the high pressure hose.

Ricks on it if it is under the rad it is the cooler itself. list price around 300 bucks. I would think short drives would be ok but I would be cautious. also might want to get the hoses as well (not the high pressure side) It is also a good idea to change out the vc on the fan while you are there. just good pm to do it.
Dave

If its the black coil like tubing under the radiator, its def the p/s oil cooler.. First thing that went on mine when i bought it... it was corroded to heck and with the cold winter in Wash DC, a piece came off...pouring out came the tranny fluid..luckily was on this site and found the right person to go to cdan...

the assembly comes with the tubing as well as some hoses and brackets.. which is a good idea. don't want to replace the hoses later when they crack..you'll def will know when you are low or out.. very hard to steer/turn without a moaning sound.

Al as a temporary make it driveable type fix you could eliminate the cooler with a union. Just pull the 2 hoses off and clamp in the union. These can be gotten at an auto parts store or even Home depot. It's cold enough up here that you could get away with it. Hell American cars don't even have them :eek:.

Anyone replaced the factory cooler with an aftermarket cooler???
It has to be cheaper, and you could relocate it to a less *dangerous* area.

I just had all the PS fluid drain out of my 93 this weekend. I was up in the mountains and, of course, just drove through a mud pit... Gawd I hate mud.... Every time I Get in deep muddy H2O something breaks!
My culprit is one of the low pressure hoses. You can tell it's low pressure because all the low pressure hoses have spring clamps on them. The hi pressure hoses are crimped on with pressure fittings ;)

I'm thinking it's maybe time to replace ALL the low pressure hoses... This would be a good time to get rid of the factory cooler as well.

Thanks Guys, I am 100% sure it is the P/S oil cooler lines as you indicated, it is corroded from salt and winter driving, you can actually pick on it with a tooth pick and put a hole in it. Damn the NE weather.

Now on to fixing it............

Rick I will be calling you shortly.

Thanks

Al

Al,
C-Dan is on vacation, and specificaly (sp) asked everyone "not to break anything" until he returned :rolleyes:

Thanks to all for your contribution to this topic and specially to Rick (Landtank) as I called on him twice during installation and he was graciously willing to help in every way so thanks Rick.

I am finally back on the road and looking good.

Al

is the cooler on the FZJ80 on the high pressure side or low pressure side? usually on most cars they are on the low but the high line does not go strait to the box instead it heads forward towards the cooler where I loose track of it in the mass of lines in that area had the battery and battery tray out and I still could not follow it

Good deal that opens up the use of a larger aftermarket cooler when the small expensive factory one goes TU

3 years ago while wheeling on the beach on Hatteras Island the same thing happened to me on my 95. Limped back to the beach house and called a dealer after finding the leak under the rad. to price a new unit. The service manager told me it was a low pressure line and to just locate some rubber hose and cut out the bad part and install the hose in it's place. Cycled to a Napa store and they fixed me up with hose, clamps etc. Just replaced that 4 inch hose after 3 yrs and 30000k with flexible copper and some brass fittings from Home Depot as PM. The hose still looked fine. Originally I tried to pull the cooler and it was a PITA. If I ever I was to replace the cooler with a new one I would just cut it again to facilitate the install. No problems to report. I did flush the power steering fluid per a post by Beo last year.

I belive an aftermarket application will do just fine, although that is not what I have done, I went with OEM part, but for what I have paid for it I will get creative next time it happens, My boddy said you can go with an aftermarket cooler for about $60-$80 maximum cost and all I have to do is creat a place for it.

Al.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom