1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering Dampner

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by ChopperKing, Dec 22, 2003.

1. ChopperKing

ChopperKing

How the hell do I get the old Steering Stabilizer off? I swear to God it is stuck I have beat on it and everything it will not come off. Is there an easy way or any way to get this thing off?????????

Jason

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    I have a air hammer with a pickle fork bit that works great for PITA situations like this. Get a bigger hammer!

Good luck!

-Steve

3. tclndcrz

tclndcrz

I used a puller and a huge hammer. Took me forever but it is possible. The puller helped a ton.

Good luck.

4. ChopperKing

ChopperKing

Yeah I would use my air hammer but someone stole my air compressor from my shed so it ia all about the hammer this time till I buy a new one.

Jason

5. hammerhead

hammerhead

I used a pickle fork and a 5lb sledge. Not too bad if you can get a good swing.

6. petescoffee

petescoffee

I just replaced the stock steering stabilizer on my FJ60 and had a similar problem. Pounding did not work. Don't use a pickle fork as it will cause other problems. Use a small or medium tie rod puller. It is U shaped with the top of the U returned in. Worked Like a charm. You can rent the puller from NAPA or do what I did and by a set of pullers with the one I needed in it.