Steering damper question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

David*BJ70

Looking forward to reach the end of the world
Threads
A friend gives me a use steering damper to put on my BJ70. The damper look good but I never "upgrade" the damper on my Cruiser. "Upgrade" because the "new use" one definitely look better then my old one.

So for me it's new.

Don't worry I easily remove the old one with a fork.

But the "new use" damper was very hard to move by my hand. I can only push or pull the damper with it fix between my foots and pulling or pushing hard.

So I install it anyway and feeling the drive better... but the damper make turning the steering little bit harder and don't easily make the wheels return to go forward position after turning.

So :

1 - Is that normal and will make the turn easier after few Km... ?

2 - Is that normal and that the way with a "new-use-damper-better-than-the-old-one»?

3 - The damper is not good and put back the "old-one-finaly-better-than-the-new use-one".

:)

Thank.

Last edited:
I have never had a damper that was that hard to move and if it is causing your steering to be very hard I would say take it out and put the other one or a new one in place of it. you could be putting extra load on the power steering that can cause a problem later.

Cheers,

Michael

OK.

I will remove it.

The damper was part out from a Cruiser and it was not move since a long time. I belive this is the reason.

Thank

I bet the damper is fine. Try and pull apart and push together a Belton, OME, or other such damper without using your feet and the floor...

gb

agreed, there should be firm resistance to opening and closing, too loose and it is ready for th emetal bin...

Greg_B said:
I bet the damper is fine. Try and pull apart and push together a Belton, OME, or other such damper without using your feet and the floor...

gb

So, I understand it alway hard to push or pull a damper with only using hand ?

What about the resistance when the steering is suppose to easily (... and without asistance) return to the foward position after turning ?

I belive the damper is hard because it did not move since a long time.

... crustyBJ60... thank anyway... I'll give you some news latter. ;)

I put a brand new OME steering damper on a HJ60 this weekend, and it was definitely hard to push and pull it. possible with the hands only, but only in cm increments. I think yours is fine.
Jan

crustyBJ60 said:
so???

wtf? are you going to leave it on? is your PS working well?

just want to see how you made out.

crusty

I did'nt drive the cruiser since sunday, I was outside for work.

Honeslty, I don't know by now. I will drive it like that few day again before.

The only thing that matter me is the steering don't go back after turning.

This is my question. Is a good damper make the steering go back alone after turning ?

I'll give you news later crusty...

sounds liek the steering box itself might need adjusting. if the wear is too much then sometimes it will not return to center as well the caster (or is it camber) might need adjusting...
cheers
(just guessing on this one)

I don’t think it’s the box. It work fine with the old damper. I will go see a mechanic I know near my home with the damper and ask is opinion with the damper in is hand.

Thank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom