Steering Damper Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a minor steering issue (annoyance) and wanted some input. Vehicle is a '94 with 207K miles.

When driving along at a constant speed (40 MPH for example) and making a slight sweeping turn (top of steering wheel at 10 or 11 o'clock), occasionally it feels like the wheel doesn't want to return to normal (straight) as the road straightens back out. Its very minor and if you let go of the wheel it will straighten out but it feels like it has a momentary "catch."

I first noticed it a few weeks ago. I have since purchased new tires and it did not change. I had the PS pump rebuilt at 195K and it seems fine still (no leaks, full fluid). My mechanic used PS pump kit (part number 04446-60080). I eyballed all the steering linkage parts and everything looked OK.

I was thinking it could be the steering damper. How long do they usually last. I last replaced mine with the OME unit at 136K miles (71K miles ago). Also could be something in the pump I guess. Has anybody experienced this before?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Randy

All stock - wheels, tires, suspension, locked or unlocked, tire pressures, change on heavy/no throttle?

DougM

Do you have a lift on this Cruiser? If so, did you do any caster correction?

How many miles on the trunion (aka knuckle) bearings?

-B-

Bwulf - I had a complete front axle service at 144K. Everything still seems to be fine with it; no noises or gear oil leaks at the birfs. Just R&R'd the fluid and it still looked good. A little darker than the rear but no signs of grease which, if I understand correctly, means the seals are not leaking.

I am going to check alignment as suggested by ats4x4dotcom. When I got new tires last Sunday they were going to check the alignment but I see no mention of it on the reciept and I picked the truck up late as they were closing and was just glad it was done. It seems to pull a bit to the right but hard to tell, could be cross wind on the freeway or the crown of the road.

Underdog said:
Bwulf - I had a complete front axle service at 144K.

The trunion bearings will wear in a "straight-ahead" position and when worn badly, they will give the "catchy" symptoms you are describing. If you did the front axle service yourself then you would know if those bearings were replaced. If not, you should check the invoice and see if they were included in the repair. A knowledgeable Land Cruiser mechanic would replace those bearings in most cases but that is not a guarantee that yours were replaced.

-B-

Are trunion bearings = wheel bearings? I did not do the axle myself. Looking over the invoice I do not see bearings listing under "parts."

I'm probably getting close to needing new front pads and I will have him check the rotors and bearings and replace if necessary. I had my PS pump rebuilt at 195K miles and I do remember that we talked about the front brakes when I picked it up. I told him I had been replacing the pads - he said that the bearings also needed to be checked so it is probably due for some service.

Thanks for the help.

If you got a front axle service with no bearings you didn't really get a front axle service.

If it is alignment it is only the toe adjustment that can be done on these trucks...when I got mine it was toe out (needs to be toe in).

I would investigate the bearings thing. I would have a major issue with any mechanic that would not replace bearings when in up to their elbows in the front axle for that specific purpose... "they looked good" doesn't cut it when you spend that kind of coin on labor and the bearings are less than $100.

Underdog said:
Are trunion bearings = wheel bearings?

No.

Annotated_birfield_diagram_3.jpg

The green bearings are the trunion bearings (aka knuckle bearings.) The orange bearings are the wheel bearings.

DanKunz said:
If you got a front axle service with no bearings you didn't really get a front axle service.

Let's clarify a bit...

The wheel bearings should be inspected and repacked every 30k miles, including the 60k front axle service. Our wheel bearings are high quality and huge. They will last a very long time if well maintained ( ~300k miles.) The wheel bearings (2 per side) are relatively easy to get to and can be inspected, repacked/replaced in ~1hr/side.

The trunion bearings should be replaced every 60k miles during the front axle service. These bearings are relatively small and bear the full weight of the vehicle. They are also subject to a lot of stress when off-roading (banging into rocks and such.) They also don't turn very much and can develop worn spots. The trunion bearings are ~$15/ea (2 per side) and a full knuckle tear-down is required to get to these 2 bearings.

-B-

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom