Steering damper OEM or aftermarket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, I need to replace my steering damper 78 series troopy. The after market one just removed I got 50,000km use. Now it's causing steering wheel shimmering/ wobbling at about 70-80 kmh's and when removed the steering wheel vibrations are gone
Running 285's 75R/16 tyres.
Question being what should I install, OEM which is pricey or aftermarket, if aftermarket any recommendations.
Thanks in advance

I'm not an expert on this at all. Especially in terms of longevity.

But I've got an Old Man Emu damper. Working great. And it's yellow, which I'm pretty sure adds horsepower.

Hello,

Go with an OME or Dobinsons steering damper and do not look back.

Juan

I think the general consensus here would be ome. I have had both the ome and dobinsons for a hj75 and the ome has swivel pins whilst the dobinsons are fixed. Also the dobinsons are made in PRC..they both work.

Personally, I do not stand on ome only,That is me. But this one, comparing the two in hand, ome for sure.

I think the general consensus here would be ome. I have had both the ome and dobinsons for a hj75 and the ome has swivel pins whilst the dobinsons are fixed. Also the dobinsons are made in PRC..they both work.

Personally, I do not stand on ome only,That is me. But this one, comparing the two in hand, ome for sure.
Curious as to your general thoughts on OME overall. I just swapped out an oooold 3" lift with a new 2.5" OME lift, leaf springs all around with shocks. It feels great. But I've heard talk about "parabolic springs" whatever that means.

(side note - cool you're in Melbourne. I worked north in Shepp for awhile)

I'm not an expert on this at all. Especially in terms of longevity.

But I've got an Old Man Emu damper. Working great. And it's yellow, which I'm pretty sure adds horsepower.
Great, I have Old Man Emu shockers, they work great so going the same sounds a good idea.

BTW, my old damper was red, giving me more speed but yellow with more horses will make towing easier, lol

Curious as to your general thoughts on OME overall. I just swapped out an oooold 3" lift with a new 2.5" OME lift, leaf springs all around with shocks. It feels great. But I've heard talk about "parabolic springs" whatever that means.

(side note - cool you're in Melbourne. I worked north in Shepp for awhile)
Overall ome is excellent, hard to or won't get better. Only can give my opinion.
If Toyota would have done parabolic springs they would have extensively tested them to the upmost extreme before releasing them.

I believe even today, some parabolic spring marketers are having to return, replace, modify for each vehicle. I think parabolics are a good idea, less steel so less weight and quite an elegant design compared to the old horse and cart design. But I am unsure of longevity compared to leaf springs. All ears.

Tricky thing about parabolics is that most ome manufacturers have for the most part moved on from leaf springs.
So my bet is that it does not make sense for toyota to do the change to parabolics as the original leaf springs are thoroughly trialed and tested. But who knows, maybe one day.

But then I think it was a bad idea for toyota to make the newer 70 series wider at the front and leave the back narrow.

Overall it would be hard to be a manufacturer, be vigilant in quality control, keep faithful to philosophy of principals and match a rapidly changing/manipulated market. I think EV's are a very big lie. Toyota resisted bowing to the ev for good reason, but have succumbed to market demand, they have to.

The old stuff up to 1992-93 is my pick for overall integrity. I met a wizard engine builder just last week with over 6000 rebuilds under his belt, he reckons he can do a lot more with a hz than a hd engine. He has the upmost respect that toyota takes great pride in their work, well balanced engines.

Overall ome is excellent, hard to or won't get better. Only can give my opinion.
If Toyota would have done parabolic springs they would have extensively tested them to the upmost extreme before releasing them.

I believe even today, some parabolic spring marketers are having to return, replace, modify for each vehicle. I think parabolics are a good idea, less steel so less weight and quite an elegant design compared to the old horse and cart design. But I am unsure of longevity compared to leaf springs. All ears.

Tricky thing about parabolics is that most ome manufacturers have for the most part moved on from leaf springs.
So my bet is that it does not make sense for toyota to do the change to parabolics as the original leaf springs are thoroughly trialed and tested. But who knows, maybe one day.

But then I think it was a bad idea for toyota to make the newer 70 series wider at the front and leave the back narrow.

Overall it would be hard to be a manufacturer, be vigilant in quality control, keep faithful to philosophy of principals and match a rapidly changing/manipulated market. I think EV's are a very big lie. Toyota resisted bowing to the ev for good reason, but have succumbed to market demand, they have to.

The old stuff up to 1992-93 is my pick for overall integrity. I met a wizard engine builder just last week with over 6000 rebuilds under his belt, he reckons he can do a lot more with a hz than a hd engine. He has the upmost respect that toyota takes great pride in their work, well balanced engines.

Hello,

It is worth remembering that the stock suspension on a Land Cruiser (or most vehicles) is a compromise between performance, safety, comfort and reliability. The latter includes ease of maintenance.

Leaf springs are simpler to repair with limited tool availability. Leaf springs still function when some of their leafs break, thus making it possible to get to repair shop.

Quite likely, Toyota designers tried the compromise experiment with both conventional and parabolic leaf springs, and concluded that gains did not justify the effort. It is likely that this compromise experiment is one of the reasons why designers did not change the width of newer 70 Series rear axles.

As for EVs, they just shift the pollution elsewhere.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom