Steering Damper Mounting Issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

Can you all take a look at my steering damper mount? Obviously something isn’t correct here and I wanted to get your opinions before I just take a hammer to it.

Should bend the plate? Is the plate upside down? Some other issue I don’t immediately see?

Thanks!
270E90E4-F15B-4FE1-942F-9A5EE529DBC6.jpeg
E8EF13D1-711E-4BB8-A8A1-0DF089E5882C.jpeg
0F6EEE64-3A33-435B-8532-0C10A690BFA1.jpeg

0772D800-1CA2-40AF-8BAB-656769027FBE.jpeg

looks like the plate has been bent, checked mine and its perfectly straight
Awesome man. Thanks. It was definitely bent like this when I put the new damper on about a year ago. I’ve been meaning to dive into it and check if it’s normal. Obviously based on how the bushing is wearing it wasn’t but…

This damage fits in with a few other “how’d that get like that” parts on the truck. Very slight tweaks here & there.

undo the bolt & slide the damper off then use a section of pipe over where the bushing goes to bend it back
I’m in the middle of Death Valley and don’t have a pipe, but I’ll dig something up and get it straight one way or the other. 😂

I’m in the middle of Death Valley and don’t have a pipe, but I’ll dig something up and get it straight one way or the other. 😂
i don't think i would worry about it until I got home, not really critical and should work just fine for now.

i don't think i would worry about it until I got home, not really critical and should work just fine for now.
Yeah it’s been like this for 10,000mi so it’s not a huge rush. But I’m full time on the road right now, so this IS home. I’ve done much bigger (stupider) projects out here.

OEM steering dampers should be an actual ball joint/taper mount. It's unfortunate more of the aftermarket doesn't follow suit. Plate may be bent, but it's always going to sit funny and be a bit wonky unless it's a ball joint end.

View attachment 3200883

Put that part number into Google. That bracket looks flat in every picture

It comes flat new, but it's kind of like the Toyota OEM rust prevention. It juat needs a little time to break in and twist itself into the proper shape. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Hey Guys,

Can you all take a look at my steering damper mount? Obviously something isn’t correct here and I wanted to get your opinions before I just take a hammer to it.

Should bend the plate? Is the plate upside down? Some other issue I don’t immediately see?

Thanks!View attachment 3200320View attachment 3200321View attachment 3200322

View attachment 3200319
Might just be me, but I'd be making sure it's not being overextended. If so, could be that it's too short, or that the steering stops aren't properly adjusted. Or maybe a previous one was too short.

OEM steering dampers should be an actual ball joint/taper mount. It's unfortunate more of the aftermarket doesn't follow suit. Plate may be bent, but it's always going to sit funny and be a bit wonky unless it's a ball joint end.
terrain tamer stabiliser has a ball joint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom