Steering Column (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wiring

I have the painless kit that i plan on putting in. I know that it isnt going to be a painless endeavor but I think they make a kit for the gm witing to go into the new wiring i just need to check it out a little bit more.

I have the painless kit that i plan on putting in. I know that it isnt going to be a painless endeavor but I think they make a kit for the gm witing to go into the new wiring i just need to check it out a little bit more.

So does EZ Wire, I had to cut the GM plugs off to wire the Toyota column in.

I'd just buy a new column from IDIDIT or summit, etc. You can get their universial for a good price. Fit and finish is much better, plus the column is designed to collapse if you were in an accident; provided you use the correct column mount at the firewall.

The PO on my crusier had a Chevy Column. That fauker was a POS. When I drove it I thought the fauker was going to pull out. Way to unstable, IMHO.

Not to lecture, but it's your steering, do it right; just as important as brakes or more imporatant, IMHO.

Late,

UNO

did you try a search ? its been done alot. i did mine in one day, including figuring out the wiring. get a tilt column from just about any old chevy(mid 70's and older) with the shifter on the floor. camaro, firebird, nova,van, truck etc. get all the brackets and factory collapsable shaft from column to gear box (and box if needed) i opened up my dash a little so the column would sit higher and cut the chevy mounting bracket to fit the toyota mounting location under the dash. and used the chevy firewall bracket to mount to the toyota firewall. it took a little fab skill but not to much. i used the chevy collapsable shaft welded to borgesen u-joints but you could use all chevy stuff if you had to. its not that hard if you look at the two set ups and think it through. wiring took the longest to figure out but i finished it and drove home from my buddies shop the same day. but i had all the parts ahead of time. works great and i did it about three years ago. pm me if you need pics of the shaft or anything and i will go take some. good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I bought a 84 suburban 1/2 ton for the 700r4 and transfer case. I decided against the trans case and opted for the 3 speed that is in my truck now behind the 700r4. I was just wondering cause I have all of the parts there for the Chevy steering. 500 dollars for the whole shootin match. Sag box is there i just need to find a pump and I think I might have one of those somewhere in the shop too, might just need to adapt some fittings to make it work. and make some new hoses. If I dont go with the column that is in the suburban how much are the collapsable collumns that ya all are talking about. Cause that sounds like a good option too. I will know more when i get my motor in there and the SOA done here in the next couple of weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom