Steering column tube 1970 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Project for the day..... The steering tube looks terrible. I'd like to clean and paint it. If I loosen the bracket under the dash and free it from he steering box, will it slide off the shaft and clear the ceiling?

I do not want to muck up my new headliner or take the top off again. My measurement say it is close to hitting the ceiling.

Thanks,
Scot

DSCN0662[1].JPG

Not saying what year cruiser. If the steering box uses a clamp or four bolts, either way loosen the box from the mount will give a little wiggle room.

Project for the day..... The steering tube looks terrible. I'd like to clean and paint it. If I loosen the bracket under the dash and free it from he steering box, will it slide off the shaft and clear the ceiling?

I do not want to muck up my new headliner or take the top off again. My measurement say it is close to hitting the ceiling.

Thanks,
Scot

View attachment 3342060
@Roastchestnuts . I spy with my little eye.....

The steering column tube will come off and slide out without touching the roof. You need to take the column off the the gear box and unbolt the gear box to give a little room too.

Also I see a part I need if you don't need it! The little metal tube with the hole drilled in it attached just above the turnsignal. I would gladly pay you for that. Looks like below. shoot me a pm!
image1-3.jpg

Looks like it was column shift once upon a time

I have aspiration to restore the column shift also. Mine was converted to a 3-speed floor shift decades ago.

The part looks easy to make. Does the cross hole orientation at draw up matter? How about the taper on one side of the cross hole? Is cross hole there to tighten it or something else? If it is only a hole to allow tighting the part, PM me.

I did not get to pulling the column tube today. I was able to make a firewall gasket to keep the hot wind off my legs though. My version seems to be an upgrade over the dirty shop rags and duct tape that were stuffed in the hole.

I have a lot of areas with mild surface rust and dirt. Would dry ice blasting be a good way to clean those areas? IF so, how do I find a dry ice blaster service or machine to rent? I looked in my area and found nothing. Aviation shops, maybe?

DSCN0664.JPG

Last edited:
Cross hole tapers are there for the shift level to pivot in, and as that pivots, it moves the shift column up or down (actually more in/out) which is the selector functionality for R-1st and 2nd-3rd. The shift column then rotates for the desired gear. There is a spring inside the shift column that returns it to the 2nd-3rd position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom