Steering column slip joint grease? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Simple question, looked around some but thought I’d ask anyway.

I’m about to stab my steering column back in, removed it as one whole piece, obviously it just separated at the slip joint.
Anything to consider when greasing this thing before assembly...too much? too little grease?

I did paint match marks to ensure it goes together in the same position.

Use a little vs a lot. On a 62 it will not go all the way back in with too much grease since air pressure will build up behind it. Doesn’t matter what type of grease.
Greasing it up took care of a clunk I had....nice benefit.

If you want to upgrade the slip yoke - install a grease zerk at the base of the cavity that holds the grease. It's really easy to do it. Then it'll be super simple to give it a squeeze of grease every couple years instead of taking it all apart.
Bonus - once the grease zerk is there, it's easy to unscrew it when inserting the steering shaft so that excess grease can ooze out the hole instead of grease-lock the shaft, preventing it from fully inserting.

I thought that the FJ62s got this sliding steering yoke grease zerk from the factory (upgrade from the 60). That's where I got the idea - saw it on a friend's 62.

Thanks, nope no zerk on my late 1990 62. All good, gave it a good grease slather along the male shaft (insert sophomoric giggle here :D) getting plenty in the grooves, also slathered the entry portion of the outer shaft. Everything slid together just fine, no air pops or lock. Some pushed out the end by the steering box, I'd say a good amount to "seal" the joint under the rubber boot.

Managed to stab it by myself while my son was taking his sweet a$$ time to come outside and help the old man. Little tricky holding the steering wheel and reaching through the firewall to line up the joint ends...both of which are on floppy u-joint ends. Nailed it!! :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom